Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Steamer not draining

• Steamer not draining

Posted by guest on July 30, 2018 at 12:00 am

Model # 24CEA10. Need to figure out why the steamer is not draining.

ectofix replied 5 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ectofix

July 30, 2018 at 8:50 am

Bobby wrote:

Model # 24CEA10. Need to figure out why the steamer is not draining.

There’s a 99% chance that one or both of your steam generators (from herein I’ll refer to as the boilers) is/are scaled up.  

Please bear with me and I’ll elaborate with another reply in a few minutes.

• ectofix

July 30, 2018 at 9:31 am

I probably should add to my previous statement that there’s a 1% chance of your problem being simply a control issue or faulty drain valve.

As for the scale build up.  The severity of it would be based on your local water quality.  If you’re using some sort of water filtration/treatment system, keep in mind that you still must descale your unit since typical point-of-use systems WILL NOT remove scale from our water.

Per page 15 of the manual linked below, you should be descaling your steamer on a regular basis.  How frequent is, again, based on your water quality:

https://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/CLE-21CET8_iom.pdf 

However, DON’T try to descale it now!  Since it won’t drain, you’d have a real mess on your hands.  With it not draining, you’ll have a very strong ACID stuck in there.  You can’t cook with it either if there’s descaler stuck in it.

So, if you’ve NOT been descaling the steamer like you should, then what you have in it might be like what’s pictured below.  I quarried this out of a steamer similar in size to yours:

In your situation, there’s nothing you can do except call a service company.  I caution you to expect the worst while hoping for the best.  The labor…and maybe some parts necessary to extract a badly scaled-up boiler can be rather expensive.  It’s DEFINITELY not something you can do yourself.