Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Can you help identify this unit and replacement on/off switch?

  • Can you help identify this unit and replacement on/off switch?

  • guest

    March 22, 2018 at 12:00 am

    I have an older steam table that has a faulty on/off switch.  The unit does not have any manufacturing info which is making it difficult to locate a replacement switch.  Can someone recognize this unit and or know where to source the correct replacement switch.  I have attached pics for reference.

  • fixbear - ADK NY

    March 22, 2018 at 2:33 pm

    Do the pan’s have 1 or 2 elements?  In other words, is it a high low heat.  In which case it would be a double pole double throw 35 amp.   Are you sure it is just a switch,  or perhaps a resistive temp control with high/low..  Is there a trademark name in the bakelite or under the knob?  What voltage ?


    You are going to have to replace the connectors and cut the wires back to bright wire.  If the wires are not long enough you may have to replace them or ruin the new switch.


    Got to thinking about your switch.  could it possibly be a cam operated 2 pole 2 stage?  Take your ohm meter and check a good one.

  • ryantruck9

    March 22, 2018 at 3:48 pm

    Almost looks like the old Duke mobile hot wells used alot in Care homes in this area.

    From the pictures provided it looks like Thermostats (or INF Switches) for each well and only 1

    of these on/off switches for the entire unit? (4th picture far right side of panel)

    Is this correct?

    if so you may not need that exact switch. But you should have your preferred appliance servicer wire up

    a replacement safely.

    Several of the “newer” units by Delfeild and the like use more of a Light switch style rocker.


    I just can’t see each well drawing 20-30 amp to justify this large switch rating and this unit being on castors.

    It would be hardwired with legs.

  • fixbear - ADK NY

    March 23, 2018 at 10:32 am

    I remember coming across that switch way back.  I believe you will find a AH cast in the bakelight just above the seal in the center.  It stands for Arrow Hart. A obsolete company that went to Cooper and now Eaton.   The standardization of switch sizes in the 70’s kind of made it a oddball, as it was more than 30 amp’s , but less than 60.Amp.  In the consolidation movement it would have been doomed.

Log in to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018