Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I would like to run my Perlick BS 84 commercial refrigerator at 55 degrees…to use as wine storage.  Is that an acceptable temperature to run the refer at?

• I would like to run my Perlick BS 84 commercial refrigerator at 55 degrees…to use as wine storage.  Is that an acceptable temperature to run the refer at?

Posted by guest on May 10, 2018 at 12:00 am

I would like to run my Perlick BS 84 at 55 degrees…basically to use as a wine storage cabinet.  Is that an acceptable temperature to run the refer at?

guest replied 5 years, 11 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • fixbear

May 10, 2018 at 3:43 pm

Refrigeration condensers and evaporators are designed to work at specific temperatures.  That is part of why the temp controls have a range that is specific.  Now by raising the temp of the box to 55 instead of 35 the coil can never get to the designed suction pressure of the compressor.  So what is happening.  The compressor is designed for a max 45 degree starting/operating temp.  Above that temp the compressor will be in a overload condition.  They are designed for short periods like commissioning,  but to keep one in that area for a extended period of time will cause compressor failure. That’s at least a thousand dollars to replace.  A wine cooler has a smaller evaporator so that the compressor can stay in a working range by having a higher take down temp. Like 25 to 30 degrees instead of 10 to 15 as is normal.  It’s all in the design of the balance of the system.  Not only the thermostat.

The other thing that will happen by just raising the control to 55, is the cooler will short cycle.  Causing a whopping power bill.  Coolers use a principle of physics called latent heat of solidification.  This is a energy storage method to help make them efficient.  Basically the evaporator coil runs down to 15 to 19 degrees F.  Then in the off cycle it comes up to 38F.  Now her is how the magic works. To lower one lb it takes one BTU.  But when you lower one pound of water from 32F liquid to32F solid takes 144 BTU’s. So the moisture in the air that freezes on your evaporator every cycle is just making long run cycles.  By the way, Starting current for a motor is 17 times full run current.  Understand why it will cost more.

Your best bet is to buy a wine cooler to replace your back bar.

May 10, 2018 at 9:57 pm

Thanks…I had a suspicion I was pushing the envelope…