Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums we ordered an American Range part AMRA11101 on order 000000002621758, and it is still doing the same thing. The oven keeps getting hotter and hotter, and they keep adjusting it temp down, but it does not go down. Can you tell us what to do?

• fixbear

May 9, 2018 at 1:07 pm

Pilot to high? or sensing bulb not positioned and mounted in the correct place. (top rear of oven). Or cap tube for the new thermostat kinked during install,  Or damage to the bulb/cap tube that caused a leak.

The thermostat is filled with a liquid that expands and presses on a bellow/diaphragm to closes the valve. What looks like a wire is actually a small diameter tube to the bulb.  These BJ thermostats are very reliable normally and used on a lot of different brands to control heat.  Most problems are from installation as one has to be very careful to not kink the tube or scrape it in a sharp edge.  It’s not easy to snake them into some units thru the small holes that are stamp cut and have sharp edges..

• ectofix

May 9, 2018 at 8:02 pm

Probably improper installation.  I’ll bet the bypass flame wasn’t properly set up.  Doing so is fundamental when a technician installs those.

• ectofix

May 9, 2018 at 8:17 pm

A funny story:

At my former service company, our will-call parts folks sold a tstat to a restaurant owner.  He returned it the next day –  stating that it didn’t work and was defective.

The defective tstat he was attempting to return had a butt-splice crimped in it to hold the capillary together. 

He said it was too long, so he shortened it.

That’s just another reason why I’m EXTREMELY hesitant to answer insanely simplistic DIY questions.

• fixbear

May 10, 2018 at 6:46 am

I never asked a major question.  Something we unconsciously do when we walk into a kitchen.  Is the high temp actual or perceived?  There are a lot of products that the moisture level drops as they cook and and require less input. If running a hot oven it will seem to cook fast at the end.

The only other thing I can think of is venting.