Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Pretty neat old Toledo!

• Pretty neat old Toledo!

Posted by guest on August 28, 2018 at 12:00 am

Got a contact today on a Toledo model 5255.(serial 875204).

Just wanted to share this because the machine itself is ancient!

This isn’t an image from my contact today but it is the model referenced. They stated other than needed new bars the unit is still in great working order. Pretty awesome to hear when people take good care of their machines for so long!

ectofix replied 5 years, 8 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • fixbear

August 28, 2018 at 12:40 pm

Fifties steak cuber?  Back when they built stuff to last,  But wouldn’t pass today’s sanitation requirements.  Wonder what happened to the rest of it.

• partsgirl

August 28, 2018 at 3:50 pm

They had the complete unit, less the two bars. The picture is simply for reference! Also, it was being used residential. 

• ectofix

August 28, 2018 at 5:00 pm

Wow! That’s a monstrous appliance for residential use.  They must be somebody in the culinary arts who appreciates old stuff like that.

I was talking to one of our Chefs yesterday about a bunch of perfectly good equipment in storage that got tossed because a higher-up wanted to shed the weight of surplus equipment.  I brought up that one of the two prosciutto slicers we HAD got tossed too.  The slicer we still have is the one I’d torn down, gotten painted and rebuilt about five years ago (I did the tear down/rebuild).

Here’s a video I put together to commemorate my efforts.  It was my first use of any video editing software, so please pardon the poor quality:

Prosciutto Slicer Repaint & Rebuild – YouTube 

Anyway.  This Chef said she wants one for her home.  Never mind that it requires two men to lift and is ridiculously expensive (new).  She absolutely ADORES its entire concept, simplicity, grace and the history behind its design – so much so that she told me she’s ALWAYS checking on eBay and such places trying to find one at a bargain price.

When she learned that our SECOND one simply got PITCHED to clean house, she said she was so…well – I can’t type that because of the “filters” here.

Watch this video on how to use that slicer:

Berkel Manual Fly Wheel Slicer (330M) Video – YouTube