Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Pitco fryer won’t shut off

• Pitco fryer won’t shut off

fixbear updated 11 months, 2 weeks ago 1 Member · 8 Posts

November 28, 2018 at 12:00 am

I have a pitco fryer model 35C+S that won’t shut off have to shut the gas off to get it to shut down. looks like it has new parts could someone have just wired it wrong?

• ectofix

November 28, 2018 at 8:53 pm

No, that’s not a wiring issue. 

Your fryer uses a bleed-type thermostat and combination valve.  The tstat operates the combination valve through gas pressure instead of electricity.

There’s a very specific test procedure for that fryer which requires a controlled release of gas to to test it.  It’s not something a DIYer  should do.

The ONLY thing I can suggest is  (if you can operate a WRENCH) be sure all gas tube connections to the combination valve AND the thermostat are tight and devoid of any leaks.  How you do that is at your own risk.

Otherwise, call a service company.  Here’s a point of contact in Oregon:

General Parts
    16364 S.W. 72nd. Ave.
    Portland, OR 97224

(800) 851-4118
    TEL (503) 624-0890
    FAX (503) 684-6107

Territory Zip Codes:
    970-979, 986
    Service Email: portlanddispatch@generalparts.com
    http://www.gp-servicedirect.com
  • fixbear

November 29, 2018 at 7:40 am

I’m not certain on what you mean it won’t shut down.  Do you mean the pilot or the main flame?  What new parts do you see added.  Has it been installed and calibrated by a qualified tech?  What gas is it running on?

• fixbear

November 29, 2018 at 7:46 am

Ecto, you said it’s not electric, but millivolt is electrical.   And last I knew  a 35C+ is a economy millivolt fryer,   Do you know something I don’t?

• eritech1

November 29, 2018 at 8:26 am

I looked at the parts Manuel and I think  ectofix is right they have 2 options millivolts or that other style bleed type thermostat (that I only worked on once)

https://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/PT-35C-45C_pm.pdf 

• fixbear

November 29, 2018 at 1:59 pm

I see it now.  Never came across that type. Doesn’t look like I want to either. But that high lmit wiring harness look’s like it may be a great troubleshooting tool.

• ectofix

November 29, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Right, well I ran across that type of gas control only in a few Pitco fryers that had them.

Here’s an explanation on how it works from a book I have, which says the bleed-type combination valve is used on some commercial gas water heaters and some basic design deep fryers.

GS GAS THERMOSTAT

The GS thermostat looks like a standard KX electrical thermostat, but with a clunky cast body attached to it.  It’s a snap-action type, as apposed the throttle (modulating) action of BJ and FD gas thermostats.

When the GS thermostat opens, gas flows just as it did when the lever was open. When it closes, gas flows from the inlet chamber within the combination valve for the servo working gas. This existing working gas slowly bleeds off and the valve closes.

This combination valve is a “slow opening and closing” valve. When the thermostat opens, the main burner will light quickly. When the thermostat closes off, the main burners will take a few seconds to go out while the servo gas bleeds off.

• fixbear

November 29, 2018 at 7:39 pm

So the excess fuel gas must vent through a orifice perhaps to the burner for the control valve to close?  Has to be some kind of back-pressure to open the valve.  Know what I’ll be digging for tomorrow.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now