Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have a Pitco 40D suffix SM, the pilot lights and stays lit but the main burners won’t fire up. I recently (before this problem) pressure washed the fryers to get the carbon out. I’ve done this before with no problem. What gives?

• I have a Pitco 40D suffix SM, the pilot lights and stays lit but the main burners won’t fire up. I recently (before this problem) pressure washed the fryers to get the carbon out. I’ve done this before with no problem. What gives?

Posted by guest on September 21, 2017 at 12:00 am

I have a Pitco 40D suffix SM, the pilot lights and stays lit but the main burners won’t fire up. I recently (before this problem) pressure washed the fryers to get the carbon out. I’ve done this before with no problem. What gives?

ectofix replied 6 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • fixbear

September 21, 2017 at 2:34 pm

You have moved dirt and crud into the burner or carburetor of the burner. Or you disturbed the electrical connections to the gas valve, thermostat,   Is any gas flowing and not lighting from the main burner?  if not, you have a open in the gas valve circuit.  The pilot stays lit, so the millivolt generator is making some power,  We just don’t know without a millivolt reading.   It just may be a little low voltage from the spray/water causing a bleed. or pilot flame not right. They are not made for pressure washing inside.

• ectofix

September 21, 2017 at 5:05 pm

Dennis Souva said:

I have a Pitco 40D suffix SM, the pilot lights and stays lit but the main burners won’t fire up. I recently (before this problem) pressure washed the fryers to get the carbon out. I’ve done this before with no problem. What gives?

What gives?  WELL…

At first I questioned what parts of the fryer you pressure washed.  From that I envisioned all of the components underneath (burners, gas valve, electrical components) getting doused with water, but then I realized that NOBODY would ever do THAT.

So you pressure washed the inside of the vat to remove the carbon buildup in there, RIGHT?  FWIW, that’s not the prescribed method to clean the vat in the operator’s manual.  The best and most effective method for removing carbon in the vat is to prevent its buildup in the first place by performing regular boil-outs.

Anyway.  You did what you did…and it’s done.  I’d start with the basics by trouble-shooting the fryer using a manometer and a VOM. 

Verify proper gas pressure in and the valve’s air vent isn’t clogged..  Then use the VOM to test the electrical components. Wiring Power source (thermopile) Operating thermostat ALL electrical connections

I didn’t list the high limit because you said you have a pilot.