Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives can you calibrate a thermometer dial on a Wilber Curtis coffee urn

• can you calibrate a thermometer dial on a Wilber Curtis coffee urn

Posted by guest on February 22, 2017 at 12:00 am

Can the thermometer dial on the Wilber Curtis Coffee Urn be re-calibrated or do you have to replace?

ectofix replied 7 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • john

February 22, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Hi Carrie,

Since you did not provide the model number of your Curtis coffee urn, I have to say I am uncertain about your specific model.

However, I do know that the RU model coffee urns do have thermostats that can be recalibrated. 

If you have a Curtis RU model, here’s how to calibrate the thermostat:

Let us know if this helps!

-John

• techjoeb

February 22, 2017 at 4:52 pm

Along with what John posted, most manufacturers do not recommend re-calibrating thermostats. They usually recommend just replacing the thermostat. Provide a good model and serial and we’ll be able to tell you the best course of action to take.

-Joe  

• olivero

February 22, 2017 at 5:23 pm

Not sure if he meant Thermostat,

They come with thermometers on them that tell you the temp of the tank water, I don’t remember seeing a way to calibrate them, most ones have a slot in the center pin holding the needle so you can jam it and turn the needle pointer wherever it needs to go.

If its the Thermostat, its better to buy a new one, most mechanical ones are charged with a liquid or gas that expands at a certain temp and once that temp is reached, it opens or closes or whichever way its made. So to put it simply, if the thermostat ain’t working right and it used to, it’s broken and you should replace it because eventually it won’t work at all anyways because parts don’t re spawn on their own, I wish they did though..

• ectofix

February 22, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Since he didn’t give a model, kinda difficult to answer.  Some folks confuse thermometers and thermostats, which are two entirely different things.

With regards to an URN, he could be talking about an insulated airpot (like a big thermos) with one of those little LCD gizmos conveniently and crudely indicating the coffee is still hot…OR – an actual urn type counter-top coffee maker with the swing-arm water sprayhead that makes five gallons of coffee.

Not much help here if they want to make the model number a secret.

• olivero

February 22, 2017 at 5:48 pm

If it was me, I would want to keep my model number a secret from you……

• ectofix

February 22, 2017 at 6:22 pm