Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives SGL-40-T1 Cleveland Tilt Skillet

• SGL-40-T1 Cleveland Tilt Skillet

Posted by guest on July 8, 2019 at 12:00 am

I have a tilt skillet that is not heating consistently doesnt stay on when i tested it during a failure, i found 16 volts going to the ignition module not 24v although when i went to test the transformer i found the transformer to be working fine. any ideas whats happening?  

brikul59 replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • fixbear

July 9, 2019 at 5:33 am

Short reply, resistance.  Wire connector, corrosion, contact terminals  broken wire, come to mind.  Or the big one on some equipment is a pot temp control.

• ectofix

July 9, 2019 at 4:43 pm

With your settling on a 16v reading and then asking us for answers, sounds like you’re not making strategic use of your voltmeter and you don’t understand how to do so to further your troubleshooting skills. 

One thing you’re PROBABLY doing is using ground as a reference.  Although it ppears that the 24v circuit DOES use ground, I suggest reading directly across the components.  When doing that, your readings will likely give you more insight on the issue.

You’re most likely dropping voltage across a failed or failing hi-limit, switch, relay contacts, a loose/corroded wire connection (even one to GROUND).  Your problem COULD be in EITHER leg of the transformer’s output circuit leading to the module, so don’t assume that referencing GROUND in your readings is the ONLY way to read for voltage.  Actually, I highly discourage other technicians from doing that unless they r-e-a-l-l-y know what to expect and what they’re r-e-a-l-l-y reading.  GROUND is just COMMON for the 24v circuit in that skillet, so you’re not factoring in the wires/connections leading to the actual components if you stop your voltage testing at GROUND.

For that matter, if we were talking about a problem in the 115v side of your skillet, I would tell you to absolutely NOT use ground as a reference.  But, that’s another topic.

The simplest way you’re gonna find the problem is initially by walking through the circuit with a voltmeter and looking for a voltage drop that shouldn’t be there.  OTHERWISE, you might want to do a visual inspection of all connections.  If you find a bad one, correct it and see if things improve.

• joemunoz95

July 10, 2019 at 9:27 am

i wasnt using my reference to ground i was going across terminals when checking my 24V circuit. i checked all components between the transformer and the ignition module which isnt much but an air switch and the hi limit and both checked out fine. however i did find a loose connection from the thermostat control. after repairing the connection the unit fired up as usual. but you may be right one of the components before the module could be failing 

• fixbear

July 10, 2019 at 12:29 pm

sometimes the contacts get worn and the resistance across them will vary each time they close.

• olivero

July 11, 2019 at 9:10 am

Only time I’ve ever had heating inconsistencies or any temperature related problems (as in, not the correct temp, erratic, whatever) it’s always come back to the thermostat, either the board or the probe.

Glad you found it, but I would want to see it work just fine before I believed that was it.

• brikul59

July 18, 2019 at 11:53 am

Unhook your gas valve and see if your voltage comes back.  Seen lots of sticking gas valves drag down the voltage.           Brian.   Hitech Las Vegas