Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives The compressor keeps shutting down,  new board, new relay, jump pressure switch and overload

• The compressor keeps shutting down,  new board, new relay, jump pressure switch and overload

Posted by guest on August 19, 2016 at 12:00 am

The compressor keeps shutting down, new board and relay. Overload and pressure switches jump out, still not staying on.

guest replied 5 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 10 Replies
  • 10 Replies
  • ectofix

August 19, 2016 at 4:56 pm

RICHARD!  You actually did all that?

I take it this is for an ice machine.

What tests did you perform in order to ascertain that the board was bad?

Voltage tests? Ohmmeter readings? Verified proper inputs while lacking proper output?

It seems to me that, if the compressor came on, then the board was good.

How did you conclude that the relay was bad?

Proper coil voltage, but no change-of-state? A failed voltage drop test across the contacts? Input voltage to the contacts, but no output?

It seems to me that, if the compressor came on, then the relay was good.

THEN you JUMPERED the overload and the pressure switch?  I take it that you did NOT have a means to actually check and monitor the pressure, so the pressure may very well have gone sky-high if it weren’t for OTHER safeties – one of which you said you ALSO bypassed.

A compressor explosion WILL take part of your head and other body parts off of you.  I have a rather graphic and true story to share in that regard.

As it stands though, you’re still with us and the compressor still shuts down.  So…a problem still exists.

Luckily, it sounds like your compressor has an internal overload.  A simple multimeter test would prove that.  There MIGHT be an issue with the compressor like bad valves or bearings,an overcharged system (tell me you DIDN’T!), non-condensables in the system or maybe, with your tinkering with it, a closed hi-side service valve.

OR…there might be something simple, such as a bad/dirty sensor or a sticking float switch or NO water, which is simply communicating to the board that NOW is not the time for the compressor to be running.

Please don’t bypass anything else (like fuses, circuit breakers & such).  Put you jumper wires DOWN, pick UP your smart phone and call a refrigeration technician.

• olivero

August 20, 2016 at 11:25 am

I had a nightmare of a compressor do the same thing to me once.

Are you able mega ohm the windings in the compressor? could be a damaged winding like it was in mine.

I did everything I could to fix my freezer compressor, it would just keep turning off no matter what I did, sometimes it would take a day, sometimes 5 hours but it would ALLWAYS shut off eventually and it would also blow the breaker every time so it was very frustrating.

I changed the compressor and that solved it. But the only lead I had was when it was megged out and one of the windings was slightly off so I contacted the manufacturer with my readings and that was the conclusion.

You could go that route.

Freezer keeps tripping circuit breaker  Thats the link to my thread when solving my compressor

• alnelson

August 21, 2016 at 9:36 am

Sounds like the defrost timer is hanging up.

I would install a Paragon 9145 timer. They are digitally controlled so there is no timer motor to hang up or fail.

• ectofix

August 21, 2016 at 6:50 pm

I left refrigeration over four years ago and had yet to see a Paragon digital defrost timer.  I replaced many a failed Grasslin digital timer with Paragon 8145s (with the old motorized clock) and never had to go back.  My guess is that Paragon’s digital clocks that you’re referring to are still far more dependable than those Grasslin?

Anyway, back to the OP’s topic about his compressor.  Since he posted his request for help in the FOLLETT category, I surmised that he was talking about an ice machine.  I have never seen a defrost timer in an ice machine.

But even if it were so, a defrost timer would still fall into the control side of his problem…which I also tend to wonder about.  There’s very little possibility to help him to find out – since he seems most uniquely equipped with jumpers instead of test equipment.  His problem could typically, simply and efficiently be traced down by a qualified technician using a multimeter.  Instead, he’s exercised some real taboo & dangerous practices in his DIY troubleshooting endeavors.

There’s certainly some misguided DYI work going on here and I will highly discourage that in order to protect those who might potentially suffer from his dubious actions.  Simply by the procedures that he proclaims to use, I strongly suggest that he should step back, get some sense about him and call somebody who has the skills & expertise to troubleshoot and properly resolve the problem.

ANYWAY…to the OP – good luck to you in solving your problem.

• alnelson

August 21, 2016 at 8:04 pm

Follet does make coolers as well as ice machines, so it could be anything for all we know.

I’ve worked on some Follet blood coolers in hospitals.

• alnelson

August 21, 2016 at 8:07 pm

Yes, I’m sorry. The defrost clock comment was a joke.

We have some “parts changers” at work who seem to change the defrost timer on just about any service call they go on, so whenever I hear about jumping out this, and jumping out that, I can’t help but joke about defrost timers.

• fixbear

August 27, 2016 at 2:12 pm

What make and model of machine and compressor?

• ectofix

August 27, 2016 at 2:59 pm

Fixbear, I don’t think Richard became a member here and he can’t respond without doing so.  I don’t think he will, though.

• fixbear

August 27, 2016 at 8:34 pm

Unfortunate. With the full information I’m certain I or someone on the site could help him.

July 21, 2018 at 12:04 pm

I am very interested in this topic as my Kitchenaid Under Cabinet ice maker is having trouble.  For two weeks, it makes ice like normal for several hours and then stops.  When I turn it off, let it sit for awhile and turn back on, normal ice production resumes.  The same thing happens again.  What happens when ice production stops is this:  no ice forms on the evaporator tray b/c it is not cooling.  The normal condenser sounds that “kicks on” during this freezing cycle turns into it trying to come on every 15 seconds or so but cannot/does not stay on.  I have tested the compressor (all three prongs) and it seems fine.  Because the ice maker does indeed work sometimes, it’s hard to say that any one thing is “broken.”  Help!  I am trying to problem solve and have narrowed it down to the overload protector or the start relay. If it is anything other than those two options, it’s beyond what I can do and will have to call a technician.  Get out your wallet.  Also, when I tested the prongs, it had been shut off for over an hour. I felt the compressor and it felt warmer than it should but I don’t know what normal is like for its temperature.