Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Door is leaking steam

• badbozo2315

November 22, 2016 at 6:20 pm

>a T should be installed to facilitate proper venting for the drain.  However, I’ve noticed that Rational doesn’t say

In the case of a single unit, no, unless it’s a long run. If you have a double stacked set, with a common drain line, you must put in a tee.

Think of the bottom unit steaming happily away 100 percent, and the top unit at 400 degrees as an oven. If you open the top door fast, it might draw steam and/or water up through the drain into the 400 degree oven and flash it off unexpectedly in yer mug.

A tee in the top unit’s drain pipe will lessen that chance.

• ectofix

November 22, 2016 at 7:04 pm

I’ll have to look in my own backyard then.   We have TWO stacked sets that were installed before my time.

I know for sure that one set has a common drain that’s not vented.  I KNOW that because I had to modify its 2″ copper drain piping several months ago since the contractors had moved its floor drain.  For that matter, they’d moved ALL the f#&@+%g floor drains in the kitchen.

So you’re wondering “How do you move a FLOOR drain?”

Uh…by jack-hammering the concrete floor out and installing ALL new drains. 

• olivero

November 22, 2016 at 8:19 pm

Well, I guess I might have to look for this nozzle then, kind  curious at the moment. IS it removable and cleanable or only replacable?

• badbozo2315

November 23, 2016 at 5:27 am

Yeah, it’s cleanable and replaceable. However if it’s seen some years, the orifice hole might have gotten bigger, or as I’ve seen in the Cleveland steamers, it rot almost away. It might have built up scale making the stream shoot off to a side, etc.

With a bigger hole, you don’t get a nice spray pattern, and the water just shoots down the drain.

No I can’t tell you what the orifice size should be. 

• ectofix

November 23, 2016 at 5:32 am

I did some looking at the manuals and it’s hard to make heads or tails there.  The service manual leaves allot to be desired, since it seems to focus primarily on ERROR MESSAGES to provide answers to your woes.  The parts manual isn’t that great either.

Appears that Cleveland calls that drain box a “condenser assembly” (part number C2012107) in the parts manual and a “condensate box” in the service manual.  Here’s a picture of a new one (thank you PartsTOWN):

Image Viewer 

This view is actually looking at the TOP of the assembly (it’s laying on its side in the picture).  The round hole on the left (as pictured) is the flange which connects to the bottom of the cooking compartment.  I don’t know what BOTH of the two gray cables are for.  The one connecting into the actual box is probably the B3 sensor.

According to the service manual, when B3 senses a temperature rise to 140°F, Y1 condenser valve is energized until temperature at the probe drops.

A few things I should note here:

The fact that a parts vendor (PartTOWN) actually stocks this item seems unusual to me, since you normally wouldn’t expect such an embedded and permanent fixture within the oven to be in the parts supply stream.  So I guess they HAVE somehow failed a time or two? I’m only familiar with Rationals.  In THOSE, the drain box has a removable side cover which grants access to clean it out and get a view of the quench nozzle, probe, etc.  From this picture, I don’t see that happening on the Cleveland version.  Looks like there’s just a water hose-type fitting in the bottom of it and the normal openings for drainage and vent. AGAIN…from the picture, I can’t tell if the quench nozzle is removable.

If you look inside the oven controls compartment and find solenoid valve Y1, follow its water line and that will lead you to the quench nozzle.

• ectofix

November 23, 2016 at 5:34 am

DAD-gummit Badbozo!  Let me know you’re typing and I’ll just shut up! 

• olivero

November 23, 2016 at 9:36 am

Interesting. I will take a look later today or tomorrow morning and see what I come up with.

Thanks a lot!

• badbozo2315

November 23, 2016 at 4:30 pm

>The fact that a parts vendor (PartsTOWN) actually stocks this item

Well, yes and no.  They have 1 on hand. Whaley has 0. Warrantee service/parts agents are sometimes mandated to have certain stock parts on hand. That may be the case here. Also, if a tech ordered one and then didn’t use it on a job, it would most likely be put “on the shelf” as general stock.

>DAD-gummit Badbozo!  Let me know you’re typing and I’ll just shut up!   

Warning! The Bozo is typing! 

• olivero

November 28, 2016 at 9:26 am

Okay, have not seen any steam come out the door since last time I spoke to you guys, I did not get a chance to check the spray nozzle but since the problem went away, I guess aligning the door solved it.

Thanks for your help guys.ectofixbadbozo2315

• olivero

September 24, 2017 at 2:22 pm

Reviving the dead here, The oven leaks steam whenever they are cooking above 350*F I believe it is, just pours steam out but if its below 350*F then there is nothing.

What’s up with that?

Page 2 of 7