Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Door is leaking steam

• ryantruck9

October 1, 2017 at 11:58 am

Maybe too many or to thick of spacers?

I would only have a small spacer just where the leak is.

Something like a 4 inch long spacer behind the gasket only where the leak is. 

Another possible cheat is having the spacer towards the top so when the door closes the top pushes out a bit causing the bottom to snug up.

• fixbear

October 1, 2017 at 2:36 pm

wish I was in FL to see this unit. Sounds like you need fresh eyes or disregard all previous work you have with it and start over from the beginning.. I know you have the ability and reasoning sense to solve it.  Break it down to individual steps.  Unit/door dry.  Then with steam.

• olivero

October 1, 2017 at 2:38 pm

Ryan. I had the same thought earlier, I might just try it out. Now I got issues with my Convotherm 4 oven………….

For the love of god…. 

Had to replace a 15 HP fan motor with contactor and overload today, fun part was getting it on the roof.

E70.00 Main contactor fault? Anyone know this unit?

Then, on my spare time I will revisit the OGS 20.20 that keeps steaming, it is a lot better though, don’t get me wrong. I just don’t think the handle will be too happy if it keeps going like this.

Fixbear, I wish you were in Florida to see this unit as well. 

• ares

November 28, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Just curious who here has had the patience to be able to remove the condensate nozzle from the inside of the compartment through the drain hole in rear? Now that’s a challenge and not to be attempted without the proper amount of patience and just the right amount of caffeine in system. It’s the equivalent to the game “Operation” 

• olivero

November 28, 2017 at 8:25 pm

Lol. You’d be surprised the stuff I am willing to go through to fix my equipment.

• ectofix

November 28, 2017 at 8:32 pm

ares wrote:

Just curious who here has had the patience to be able to remove the condensate nozzle from the inside of the compartment through the drain hole in rear? Now that’s a challenge and not to be attempted without the proper amount of patience and just the right amount of caffeine in system. It’s the equivalent to the game “Operation” 

THAT…it can be.

I once hadda 480v boiler-based Cleveland steamer at a hospital.  The one with upright boilers in the rear.  Along with other problems, the doors “punched” open when the door latch was release (unwanted cabinet pressure) and heavy wafting clouds of steam from the drain pipe which was condensing under the hood and dripping onto stuff.

The problem?  The condensate (quench) nozzles were clogged with scale.

The solution?  Remove, clean and re-install them.

Wrench size necessary for that? 1 3/4″ maybe?

Options?  Well.  There was absolutely NO clearance in there to swing (or even FIT) a pipe wrench, channel-lock pliers or large crescent wrench. AND..(as you may well know) a well-seated brass fitting (from heat expansion and contraction) is already a beast to remove.  So…I told them I’d return TOMORROW with parts.

On the way home, I went by Northern Tools and hated to spend an impromptu $200 for a 3/4″ ratchet set and a bunch of of oversized combination wrenches that I thought I “might” need tomorrow…or in the future.

The next day, with my new wrenches – I completed the task.  The steamer cruised like a Cadillac.  No more pressure buildup pushing the doors open.  No more wafting clouds of steam under the hood.  Unit was working as if it’d just left the factory.

My patience for doing that job was not a factor.  Doing it right was my motivation.

• olivero

November 28, 2017 at 8:37 pm

My combi is leaking steam out the door again, I swear. I am ready to roll out it out in the trash

• fixbear

November 29, 2017 at 5:37 am

Hey,  That’s why you get paid the big bucks.

• olivero

November 29, 2017 at 8:26 am

………..

• olivero

January 6, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Alright… Alright….

I’ve been struggling with this thing again now. It never really stopped leaking steam, only when they were doing above 350*F would I really see a lot of steam.

But now its worse again, I replaced the door gasket recently so I doubt that’s it, I’ve tried to play around with spacers, for a while now but I can’t seem to get it right.

What’s to check?

Page 6 of 7