Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Have an Ice-O-Matic Model HISU090FA, and when starting up it will make two cycles of ice, but then water will cut off when going into the freeze cycle, it tries to freeze and operate properly, but no water, no ice.  water solenoid works when put in cleani

• Have an Ice-O-Matic Model HISU090FA, and when starting up it will make two cycles of ice, but then water will cut off when going into the freeze cycle, it tries to freeze and operate properly, but no water, no ice.  water solenoid works when put in cleani

Posted by guest on October 21, 2018 at 12:00 am

Have an Ice-O-Matic Model HISU090FA, and when starting up it will make two cycles of ice, but then water will cut off when going into the freeze cycle, it tries to freeze and operate properly, but no water, no ice. water solenoid works when put in cleaning mode and back to freeze for about 2 cycles, but when water in pan gets cold enough, it cuts water down to trickle. The temp probe in line with supply looks clean, and machine is not dirty. Any ideas

fixbear replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fixbear

October 21, 2018 at 6:49 pm

I need to know a bit more from you to be accurate on this.

How old is the machine? What temp is the ambient air around it? At what altitude is it placed above sea level? When was it last cleaned? Are the harvest guards and spray curtain in the proper location?. Is the condenser clean and the fan working? On the front of where the ice drops, there is a tube. Does any ice hang up, resting, or touching, on that tube? What is the bridge size when it does make ice. Is the dump valve holding water in the sump? How many LEDs are lit on the ice bridge?

This has to happen in the freeze cycle.  Ice-O_Matic has a 30 second anti-slush in  the program that is triggered by a thermistor in the pump line to the spray bar. At a water temp of about 32.2 the pump will stop to allow the evaporator to make hard ice as a insulator. Then the pump should restart. There is a LED on the back bottom of the control board next to the relays LS that indicates if in this function. This is the freeze cycle

This is the operation, set-up manual:

https://iom-stage.azurewebsites.net/getattachment/ee680fa0-28a9-41d9-bdba-6346514ba1d5/ENG-17-3438-01-r-a

and the Service manual.;

https://iom-stage.azurewebsites.net/getattachment/6f97b7fe-6e47-41e9-9c8e-584b52d89c5d/HIS-Service-manual-10-2014

and the wiring schematics;

https://iom-stage.azurewebsites.net/getattachment/71614a1d-b0e8-425b-bc97-fcf5b1b97059/HISU-Wiring

This is what I have on it.  You may want to check the thermistor to be in spec and not varying in the cycle.Values are in the manual.

Be aware that this machine is now obsolete.

I may have missed something, so here is the factory chart for your condition.

• cothranm

October 22, 2018 at 6:18 pm

It is a 2015 model.  Ambient temp around machine 74 degrees F.  Cleaned 2 months ago, it is in our church and is not used daily.  It is above sea level.  The condenser coil is clean, and yes, the condenser fan cuts on with the water at the beginning of the cycle.  The harvest guards and spray curtain in the proper location-YES.  On the front of where the ice drops, the tube for full bin has no ice on it or hangs up, there is no ice in the bin.  bridge size is about 1/16 to 1/8 inch when it does make ice.  It is holding water in the sump.  3-4 LEDs are lit on the ice bridge.   Thinking of the cycle you state, after the thermistor allows the evaporator to hard freeze, the pump never cuts back on, but this only occurs after it has completed 2 harvest cycles.  Thank you so much for the info.

• fixbear

October 23, 2018 at 4:52 am

How high above sea level?  More than 2000 ft?  At what point does the compressor stop?  Is it about 30 seconds from when the pump stops for slush control?   Does the unit come back on?  How long later?

This is why I’m asking.

You may have to have a tech run a control board test on it.  Not a easy thing to do, as you need ice to do it.

• cothranm

October 23, 2018 at 6:21 pm

Not more than above 2000ft we are in Alabama.  The compressor doesn’t stop through normal cycle, just the water as I have explained.  Everything will run properly, except the water stops as explained above, I’m thinking thermistor issues or control board issues, because as a stated from the first post, it will make 2 cycles of ice properly, and once water in the sump pan gets down to temp consistently, it stops spraying the water up to the evaporator.  

• fixbear

October 23, 2018 at 6:30 pm

You will want to check the pump for power at that time.  It is possible that the suction pipe with the thermistor is freezing solid from the low pressure.  Thereby blocking the pump.  Means either the thermistor is out of calibration or if no power to the pump the board .  But the board self test is the only way to be sure.  Board is about $190 to 200 as I recall.  And I think they had 3 or 4 revisions of it.