Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Star Maxx grill and replacement knobs.

• Star Maxx grill and replacement knobs.

Posted by guest on July 16, 2019 at 12:00 am

Model 648TCHSD.  It seems part # 2R-Z0934 are obsolete and no longer being made.  Anyone know of a replacement knob that’s similar to the originals ?

bush replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • ectofix

July 16, 2019 at 7:42 pm

You’re suffering from a knob-ular deficiency.  I’ve been there.  That’s quite the conundrum.  You’ve reached out for help and I’m here for you.

If you could let go of your affinity for that PARTICULAR knob, may I suggest that you call Star Manufacturing for what they’re supplying as a replacement.

Contact Us | Star Manufacturing 

UPDATE:  After studiously gazing upon a photogragh of the knob that you so desire, I queried Star’s website to discover that their newer equipment offerings sport some quite elegant knobs of the METAL version.  They’re so shiny and pretty.

Being serious now:

As a tech, I’ve found that plastic knobs (bakelite) don’t hold up as well to the heat as the equipment manufacturer had anticipated.

That original knob (part # 2R-Z0934) appears to be plastic.  The ones on Star’s newer equipment appear to be metal.  My guess is Star went to using metal knobs. 

YES, they do get hotter, but they’ll last much longer.

Call Star for their answer.

• fixbear

July 17, 2019 at 6:33 am

This is what they have gone to on the SF model that replaces the SD.

https://www.partstown.com/star/stai4-z15484

• tommiwv

July 17, 2019 at 11:29 am

Thank you guys for the suggestions.  I think fixbears knob might work, but I’ll try and confirm that with Star.  It is a nice bright and shiny knob, with a nice and bright price to match.  Metal looking, but kinda looks like a plastic insert where the D stem pushes on.

• fixbear

July 17, 2019 at 3:20 pm

It’s chrome plated die cast with a set screw to hold in place.

• bush

July 29, 2019 at 1:04 pm

I know I’m a little late to reply, but those newer knobs are almost indestructible.  The black plastic inserts do tend to melt or deform over time.  The insert is available separately     Southbend 4440729 for a 6-pack of gas D stem inserts, or for a single insert use Star 2L-Z15445.  If the insert is for a Robertshaw thermostat D-shaft, use Star 2L-Z20935.   Keep the customer happy, no more pliers to turn equipment on or off!