Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I need a flame sensor for a Hobart vertical rack oven model

• ectofix

January 31, 2018 at 4:05 pm

Did you mean a model R20G-RM oven?  If so, then here is PartsTOWN’s copy of the parts manual:

CATALOG OF REPLACEMENT PARTS – LUCKS R SERIES GAS RACK OVEN (1997-2000)

Here’s the flame sensor as PartsTOWN has it listed:

Hobart 01-115422 SENSOR, FLAME, TJ100, 10.5 | Parts Town 

Here the flame sensor as it’s listed on Hobart’s website:

SearchPage – Hobart eCommerce 

I’m going to make a suggestion to you:

Go behind the oven’s control panel and see if you can get good, accurate numbers off the burner.  It should be a Eclipse burner model TJ50 or TJ100 (probably the first one).

Contact Honeywell (they own Eclipse) with those numbers on hand.  Here’s their contact info:

Contact Eclipse 

Tell them the model and serial number of the burner in your oven.  Tell them what you’re looking for, get a part number for it and ask them who you can purchase it from.  I’m sure that the price for it will be FAR less expensive than buying it in a Hobart plastic bag with a Hobart part number on it.

With that in mind, here’s some more publications on that burner:

The BURNER MANUAL. Eclipse’s part number for that flame sensor is listed in it. A TECHNICAL BULLETIN.

Now, I don’t know if you’re a technician or just someone trying to fix your own oven.  I’ll caution you that these burners have very critical requirements for functioning properly…and requires someone with the right test equipment and experience/skills to set them up for proper operation.

• fixbear

January 31, 2018 at 5:40 pm

I might be in left field here,  But it isn’t often that UV flame sensors fail.  Many are blamed when it is a flame/combustion problem instead. And at that price I would really want to be sure..

• ectofix

January 31, 2018 at 8:47 pm
  • ectofix

January 31, 2018 at 8:48 pm

From the pictures of the part I found, it’s just a flame rod.

Given the prices, you’d think it was made of gold and diamond-studded.  PartsTOWN needs to take another look at THEIR price.  That’s W-A-Y MORE than just being simply ridiculous!

• fixbear

February 1, 2018 at 9:49 am

I thought that they used a 90 degree UV sensor on the Eclipse burner.with a spark plug. Or, as per the manual;

Flame Rod NOTE: Only specific burner sizes with alloy or silicon carbide combustors can use a flamerod (see specific burner datasheets). For detailed information on how to install and connect a flamerod, refer to Bu lletin/Info guide 832. Reguardless, a 15 inch flame rod is one long rod. I’m thinking that the Flame sensor that Partstown is listing is a whole combustion chamber change over.
  • ectofix

February 1, 2018 at 1:55 pm

Well, you’ve been around and seen more than I have in this trade.

I might have worked on one of these Hobart ovens YEARS ago (but I can’t remember).  So many other brands, though.

I’ve personally never worked on a unit using a UV scanner to prove flame in cooking equipment. What little I found on UV scanners is to use them in units set up as oil burners – since soot accumulation on a flame rod will cause nuisance shutdowns and unsafe operating conditions.  So…flame rods should ONLY be used in gas burners.

Wherever I find of that flame rod on the internet (using Hobart’s part number 01-115422) comes up with a description of 10.5″ in it.  Be it at Hobart, PartsTOWN, Whaley or Heritage.  So I assume that the 10.5″ is the length. 

Here’s another result with a picture:

FLAME ROD FOR LUCKS R20G OVEN 01-115422 

FWIW: I’ve never heard of GearGoods

Interesting that when I do some searching of Eclipse burner systems, I keep coming across references to their usage in “crematoriums“.

• fixbear

February 1, 2018 at 4:40 pm

I know this oven is a minimum of 18 years old.  And I also know how Hobart likes to price obsolete high risk items out of the market to sell new ones.  But to price flame sensors at over a thousand and burner controls at $3700 scares the hell out of me.  Basically they don’t want it to be repaired so you have to retire it.  And now you know why I hate big corporations or conglomerates..Back when I started in this it was a lot different.  Most manufacturers wanted to work with you. Not today.   I used to stop in at the plant for Hussman to answer questions and get parts.  Most times they just gave them to me.  They considered it service to a quality product that they got a good price for.   Then they got taken over and actually moved out of Gloversville.  Mohawk was another builder of freezers and coolers in my area that was bought and closed. There cases were bullet proof and lasted 50 years or more. I replaced my last Mohawk ice cream reach in display 3 years ago and it was installed in 1956. Just to modernize, not because of failure. Basically the doors/lids were heavy and required arm strength to open and close  However, the dipping freezer is still in operation. And it dates from early 50’s and has now work done on it except cleaning.

• fixbear

February 1, 2018 at 4:58 pm

I haven’t heard of them either, but $43.00 for a sparkplug style flame rod is a good price.  I tried to find a picture of the burner control to know find out more, but no success.

• ectofix

February 1, 2018 at 6:34 pm

Wow!  The ignitor for that burner is like a spark plug on steroids.

°    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °    °

That reminds me of a story:

I once worked on a Keating pasta cooker at a Buca di Beppo that wouldn’t quit filling (or wouldn’t heat.  I don’t remember which).  One of the water probes (pictured below) didn’t test good.  One of ’em tested OPEN with my ohmmeter. 

Who’da thunk that was possible?

Image result for sashay dance gif

So I jumped into my truck to go find an auto parts store.

The first auto parts store didn’t have it.  So I got directions to a second store. The second store didn’t have it either…and told me it didn’t cross to anything used in cars. Then I considered maybe it’s used in a lawn & garden application, I’d passed an Ace Hardware earlier. NOPE! Maybe a spark plug that’s used in MOTORCYCLES? Didn’t go there.  I was DONE hearing NOPE!

I wasted well over an hour in that trek around a town that I wasn’t very familiar with…just so I could possibly get their pasta cooker fixed TODAY instead of maybe next Monday.

Of course, this was back in the days before there were smartphones for doing a quick Google search.