Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Tool to crimp refrigeration lines

  • Tool to crimp refrigeration lines

    Posted by guest on May 5, 2015 at 12:00 am

    What tool do you recommend for crimping refrigeration lines when changing out a pressure switch or hot gas valve on a Manitowoc Ice machine?



    ectofix replied 8 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • totaltech1

    May 5, 2015 at 4:28 pm

    The one on the right works great!

  • ectofix

    May 5, 2015 at 4:34 pm

    Looks like it would.  I know that when I used the vice grip version, it was always a judgement call on getting it adjusted just right, since it gave me the impression that it could cut through tubing like dikes do to wire.

  • ectofix

    May 5, 2015 at 4:35 pm

    A pinch-off tool that’s like a vice grip, but have very narrow jaws.  They look like the left one in the link:


    I don’t recommend using regular vice-grips.That’d never work.


    You’ll need to re-round the tubing afterwards so refrigerant pressure can flow through the section you pinched off.  I just use my flaring/swaging bar.  In the link, they show another version of a pinch-off tool that’s also includes the re-rounding holes.  I’ve never used that version and is probably pricier.  If you have a flaring kit, then that would suffice as a re-rounder tool.

Log in to reply.