Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives I have a W60 mixer 3 phase, the building I moved into only has 1 phase is there a converter I can buy

• I have a W60 mixer 3 phase, the building I moved into only has 1 phase is there a converter I can buy

Posted by guest on December 18, 2015 at 12:00 am

I would like to convert my W60 three phase mixer to a 1 phase

samservice replied 8 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ectofix

December 18, 2015 at 4:53 am

There is a variety of single to three phase converters on the market, sometimes referred to as a digital phase converter.  However, they’re not an item which you can simply plug-and-play.

You will need to have a licensed electrician survey your power requirements in order to determine what converter best suits your needs.  Once that’s done and the electrician installs the converter, it is VERY important that the power to your mixer is phased correctly so that it to runs the proper direction.  If the mixer runs backwards, that will quickly cause expensive damage to your mixer.

A word of warning though.  Since the controls in that mixer are electronic, you may want to consult Varimixer regarding the feasibility of using a converter to power the mixer.  I suggest this because the output of digital phase converters is not the same as straight 3-phase power from the pole.  A phase converter’s output will have what’s called “harmonic distortion” which may, in layman’s terms, “scramble” the mixer’s electronics and cause malfunction of the controls.  It’s likely that if you go CHEAP in your choice of a converter, that converter may have higher THD (total harmonic distortion) affecting the quality of its output and you thereby risk the possibility of mixer being rendered useless. 

I’m no expert in the world of converters, but these are things that I’ve read from my short research on them.

• samservice

December 20, 2015 at 8:57 am

Ectofix,

i agree. I’ve never had a smooth installation of a phase converter. i personally don’t install them anymore. That’s not to say that it can’t be done. If you decide to go with a phase converter I would definitely talk to Varimixer tech support first and a licensed, experienced electrician for the install. Usually industrial electricians have the most experience with phase conversion.