Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Vulcan 1gr65 fryer, installed new thermopile but pilot wont stay lit, any suggestions.

• Vulcan 1gr65 fryer, installed new thermopile but pilot wont stay lit, any suggestions.

Posted by guest on October 6, 2018 at 12:00 am

Pilot ignites but i cant get it to stay lit when i let the switch out.

john replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 18 Replies
  • 18 Replies
  • ectofix

October 6, 2018 at 1:13 pm

Okay.  Check for:

Poor pilot flame quality (low gas pressure or dirty pilot burner) Wire connection bad/poor (loose or cruddy connection; bad wire crimp) Combination valve wiring improperly configured (doesn’t match diagram on the door) Open hi-limit (as tested across the NC and C terminals) Bad combination valve (if voltage across TP terminals is >200mV, the pilot valve should remain open) Other possibilities I can’t think of at the moment…

Once you employ your manometer and VOM to troubleshoot for these possibilities, the problem can be quickly and easily isolated/corrected.

• fixbear

October 6, 2018 at 1:15 pm

Check the over-limit safety, Pilot flame quality, and wiring.

• fixbear

October 6, 2018 at 1:17 pm

We must have been typing at the same time. Kool.

• ectofix

October 6, 2018 at 1:23 pm

• ectofix

October 6, 2018 at 1:26 pm

I should add that a quick and easy assessment of the hi-limit’s condition can be done by draining the oil, then inspecting the hi-limit’s sensing bulb capillary tube.  If it’s beat up or mangled, it’s probably lost its charge.

• pearbear

October 9, 2018 at 3:49 pm

I HAD AN ATOSA FRYER ACTING THE SAME WAY. AFTER SOME TESTING WITH MY METER, I WAS ABLE TO REPLACE JUST THE MAGNET HEAD ON THE VALVE (A ROBET SHAW).

• fixbear

October 9, 2018 at 7:16 pm

That’s very rare.  I would check the pilot flame as being to high on that one.

• fipe

October 10, 2018 at 12:24 pm

Replacing the gas valve will solve the issue.

• fixbear

October 10, 2018 at 1:14 pm

Not something one would do without first testing the pilot system and ohming out the valve coil.

• fipe

October 10, 2018 at 2:15 pm

Page 1 of 2