Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Manitowoc SD0502A  Ice Machine Troubleshooting?

• Manitowoc SD0502A  Ice Machine Troubleshooting?

Posted by guest on July 21, 2019 at 12:00 am

I have a Manitowoc SD0502A ice machine. It stopped producing Ice and after inspection of the machine I discovered that the silver round capacitor below the control board was bulging. I replaced the capacitor. After Moving the toggle switch to On position The machine starts its normal path to ice production,it will turn on, water curtain works and the compressor and condenser fan engage. The condenser fan will cycle off after about 7 minutes while the compressor remains running. The compressor shuts off about 8 minutes later and is really hot to  touch. No ice  is on the ice plate as  while it was running the water dripping over the ice plate did not fell cold enough to form ice cubes. What should I do next or what should I check? Shoudln`t the fan remain on so it cools the compressor?

olivero replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 26 Replies
  • 26 Replies
  • fixbear

July 21, 2019 at 12:54 pm

The fan cycles with head pressure.  Does the suction side of the compressor feel cold?  What is the bottom of the condenser side feel like?  Does the top evaporator line from the TXV and hot gas valve feel hot or cold? 

If you have a clamp on ammeter, monitor the compressor amps.  You may be having a no start condition that pops the thermal safety.  That requires a licensed tech to fix.  You never said whether it was the start cap or the run cap that failed.  Usually they do not bulge unless some power factor caused it like overload or surge.  Or start relay problem.

Make sure you let us know which compressor you have. The Danfoss (Secore SC’s) have a know field problem with start, run after going off warranty due to the lube system having to pump oil to the top.

• chefhenryclay

July 21, 2019 at 3:11 pm

I replaced the the run capacitor because the old one had a bulge in it. The compressor is a DanfossSC18MLX3. The bottom copper tubing coming out of the compressor is hot. The top copper tubing coming out of the compressor is not cold maybe a little warm. The condenser side where the copper tubing is warm. I do notice a water drip coming from the water inlet connection to the blue solenoid. You lost me on the location of the TVX?

• chefhenryclay

July 22, 2019 at 9:14 am

After reading the manual I figure it is one of these that is causing no ice production………

Electrical System

1. Improper voltage (low)  

2. Water inlet valve failure

3. Compressor failure / start component failure page 146

Refrigeration System

1. Low on Refrigerant

2. Starving TXV

3. Head Pressure Control Valve stuck in Bypass

4. Harvest valve leaking through or stuck open

5 Inefficient compressor

• fixbear

July 22, 2019 at 10:05 am

a TXV is the thermostatic expansion valve that controls the refrigerant to the evaporator. It’s in the top of the compressor compartment behind the evaporator   It will be wrapped with insulation, have a capillary tube with a bulb attached to the tail coil of the evaporator and a diaphragm chamber at the top of the valve.  The outlet side of the valve is what defines the low side of the system. The pressure drop is where the refrigerant starts to boil and absorb heat. This line should be freezing at that point.  Now there is a tee in that line that goes to the Hot gas bypass valve. (solenoid type valve)  that comes directly from the compressor discharge line.  It is to warm the evaporator during harvest.. If You feel the line near the tee both upstream of the hot gas valve and down stream toward the evaporator you should not feel heat, but cold.  If you feel heat,  it means the hot gas valve is leaking or open.  Be aware, that the machine has to go thru the whole stat up sequence before going into freeze cycle. During that period the harvest/hot gas valve will be energized.  This takes a full 55 seconds.  100 seconds before the water pump starts for pre chill of the plate..

chefhenryclay wrote:

. I do notice a water drip coming from the water inlet connection to the blue solenoid.

Is the water drip going into the evaporator sump?  if so it may be adding enough heat to prevent icemaking.

As long as you are certain that the compressor is running,  Start by cleaning the machine with Manitowoc ice machine cleaner. Follow the instructions in this manual; https://www.partstown.com/modelManual/MAN-S-Series_sm.pdf

or this one; https://www.partstown.com/modelManual/MAN-S-Series_iom.pdf 

Now let it run till it shuts down. Page 65 of the service manual tells you how to read the codes after shutdown.

On page 97 of the first manual is the operational analysis table we use for troubleshooting.  It also has a complete explanation of the ice cycle

Being you are in LA, That’s why you have the Danfoss/Secop compressor.  They are the preferred one for marine use due to the pump in the top. Prevents oil slugging,  As long as you have not heard any squeaking at start up or excessive noise during load, the lube system is probably OK.  Danfoss was near bankrupt about 6 years ago and shut down the plant that made their compressors in Czechoslovakia losing 3200 jobs. They sold to Secop in China now.  And the early ones out were a real problem. Especially in the 3 door reach in freezers sold under several brands.  I never saw a Danfoss in a ice machine in my area.

• chefhenryclay

July 22, 2019 at 3:13 pm

Just to clarify, I am attaching a picture of the TXV and it is cold to the touch all around the T. The inlet connection water drip is not leaking into the evaporator sump.  I do see a quick SL1 red light flash on the control board upon start up right after I move the toggle switch to ice.

I am going to let the machine run awhile but the compressor still clicks off after getting really hot.

• chefhenryclay

July 22, 2019 at 4:51 pm
    Refrigeration System Start-Up

The remote condenser fan motor starts at the same time the compressor starts and remains on throughout the entire Freeze and Harvest Sequences.

The remote condenser fan motor does not remain on throughout the entire freeze harvest sequences.

I am presently in this mode…..

Safety Limit Stand-By Mode: The first time a safety limit shut down occurs, (three consecutive long freeze or harvest cycles) the ice machine will turn off for 60 minutes (Stand-By Mode). During the Stand-By Mode the harvest light will be flashing continuously and a safety limit indication can be viewed. After 60 minutes the ice machine will automatically restart to see if the problem re-occurs. If the same safety limit is reached a second time (three more consecutive long freeze or harvest cycles) the ice machine will initiate a safety limit shut down and remain off until it is manually restarted. During a safety limit shut down the harvest light will be flashing continuously

• fixbear

July 23, 2019 at 8:48 am

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.  you said; “I am going to let the machine run awhile but the compressor still clicks off after getting really hot”. So the compressor is in overload.  Either the fan is not up to speed, or the condenser is plugged up and no air is moving.  This causes a high head pressure and temperature. 

Alternately the run capacitor is the wrong value or the start relay is not dropping out. It is voltage sensitive.  Make sure to test the supply voltage under load in case you have a high resistance due to wiring size or connections. 

What voltage  is this machine..

• chefhenryclay

July 23, 2019 at 1:01 pm

The machine is 115 v. I let the machine run overnight and came in this morning with a continuous red flashing SL1 light on the control board. I cleaned the condenser really good. The fan does spin freely when turned by hand, no resistance. Can the fan motor be bad even if it doesn`t feel hot after running?

What is strapped to the fan motor? it is rusty on the outside

• chefhenryclay

July 23, 2019 at 1:15 pm

I turned the machine back on and the compressor started right up but the condenser fan started about 60 seconds later and ran for a minute then cut off. I did see a spark and heard a loud click from the start relay right before the compressor went on. 

the compressor is in overload now

• chefhenryclay

July 23, 2019 at 1:28 pm

Could the Fan Motor Run Capacitor be bad? If so ,I did see under notes in the parts manual  that it is no longer available.

Page 1 of 3