Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Grinding noise in the bottom end of Hoshizaki ice maker model DCM-270BAH

• Grinding noise in the bottom end of Hoshizaki ice maker model DCM-270BAH

Posted by guest on March 20, 2018 at 12:00 am

Grinding noise in the bottom end of Hoshizaki ice maker model DCM-270BAH

fixbear replied 5 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fixbear

March 20, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Ouch, that does not sound good.  You have to determine if it is coming from the extruder or the gear reduction.  Take a long screw driver and place it on the gear case with your ear on the end.  Do the same on the lower halve of the extruder.  One will be obviously louder and the source.  If it has gone this far as to make noise, It will require a teardown.  If the lower seal failed, you will have gotten water in the reduction gear case.  That with time causes rust and bearing damage..  If the extruder bearings were  not inspected annually with a .02 inch wire gauge,  You may have auger interference with the evaporator. Damaging both.

This repair has to be done by a licensed refrigeration tech.  From past experience,  parts will be between $1500 and $2000. You may want to consider replacing it.

March 21, 2018 at 5:40 am

Fixbear is right, the noise may mean its too late for the gearbox. The gearbox sits in a plastic tray. Have you notices any oil or an oil film in the tray? This may indicate that the auger seal failed. That allows water to enter the gearbox and displace the oil inside. These gearboxes are never full to the top with oil. So, if you are seeing an oil film in the tray or on the bottom of your motor, its probably too late. Find a Hosizaki service rep and have him look at your unit.

On another note, and this is rare, if you have hard water and haven’t descaled the unit regularly, it will sometimes cause a similar noise as the scale grinds between the bearings and the auger. Even with this you may need to replace the bearing(s) and seal. If you haven’t seen any oil weeping around the gearbox or motor, try descaling it and see what happens. 

September 10, 2018 at 3:18 pm

I have also had this problem and noise appears to be inside the evaporator where the auger is or even higher inside the storage bin. I shut the unit off for the weekend and turned it back on when I returned on monday and it worked just fine for about a month and a half. When it happened again I took off the cover to the storage bin and found a huge chunk of ice frozen to one of the agitator prongs. I checked the refrigerant levels and they were normal, any clue why this would happen? Also, the drain pan under the gear box or housing fills up and overflows with water but all I can see is water dripping from the insulation on the refrigerant lines and evaporator. Is it possible the insulation is worn out and needs to be replaced to hold temp. better? Anybody know what else might cause that much water to be collecting in that pan?

• fixbear

September 10, 2018 at 4:00 pm

Lower bearing and seal has gone.  The earlier you repair it the less it will cost.  If the water gets into the gearbox it will be a lot more than if you catch it when it starts leaking.  Now if you also had ice on the prongs, that means you need to evaluate the water supply system to be holding the water at the correct level.

• fixbear

September 10, 2018 at 4:01 pm

I forgot to mention the water hose may have developed a leak.