Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Pitco 40D Fryer Issues

• Pitco 40D Fryer Issues

Posted by guest on June 5, 2019 at 12:00 am

have two new Pitco 40D fryers on a concession trailer. One fryer i was able to get started. I had it set for 350 degrees and after about 30 minutes it shut off and I couldn’t get it started again. The pilot would light but no matter how long I held the pilot switch in for it would go out when I released it.  The second fryer I was able to get the pilot lit but could never get the fryer to start. The trailer was on a little bit of a slope so the fryers weren’t completely level. Any ideas what the problem might be?

i’m running 2 100lb propane tanks. I also have a 36” griddle that was running and was using a stove burner or 2.  I did also try getting them going with the stove completely shut off.

mclancey13 replied 4 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • fixbear

June 6, 2019 at 11:42 am

Concession time of year. 

Your first fryer probably has the high limit tripped. More than likely not level enough for the thermostat to stop it or oil was  low.  There is a red button on the high limit that you have to reset.

The second one,  has a millivolt problem holding the safety open.  This you either have to have a tech that knows how to use a millvolt meter to test for the problem. It can be anything from low pilot flame or incorrect position or mixture to electrical connections between the thermopile, safety, and valve. 

Often when a unit set’s for a period of time,  Usually in a storage space that is unheated it requires a recommissioning by a experienced tech to be safe.  Controls and safeties have to be tested and the thermostat calibrated.

• mclancey13

June 6, 2019 at 11:48 am

The pilot was burning really hot on Fryer 2. I could see the metal around the pilot was turning red. 

Is it just electronics that are causing the issue? I have a multimeter and have worked in medical electronics for 16 years.  Is it something easy to check?

• fixbear

June 6, 2019 at 1:40 pm

The system uses a 750 milivolt thermopile to make the power for the valves.  Something like this.

Now if you have NO voltage at those 2 terminal’s, you have a bad generator. To high a voltage,  to hot.  To low, bad flame quality or low flame.  Now when you turn the thermostat on , the voltage will drop more.  Safety open will be about 750 millivolts.

• fixbear

June 6, 2019 at 2:16 pm

I finally found a 40d manual. it’s here; Pitco 40D

• mclancey13

June 6, 2019 at 5:42 pm

Fixbear, thanks so much for all the help.  I decided to go with your original suggestion and have an experienced tech coming out tomorrow.  I let you know what we find.  Thank You!!

• fixbear

June 7, 2019 at 2:25 pm

That is a wise choice my friend.  He or she will have a digital temp gauge capable of accurate measurement of the oil to calibrate the thermostats so you don’t over temp or cause a fire.

• mclancey13

June 7, 2019 at 7:58 pm

So on the first fryer the wire that runs from the bottom of the pot was completely broken off. The fryer was running at full bore and tripping the limit switch.

the second fryer had a bad thermostat and it had to be replaced.

They are both working great now.  Thank You for all your help, i really appreciate it.

• mclancey13

June 7, 2019 at 8:01 pm

★ 06/07/2019–wp–checked left unit limit was tripped reset and set to 350 after 15 min limit
    tripped again. tested temp was 428 in oil. waited until I could reset limit and relit turned t stat to 200 and as soon as I turned valve to on burners came on. oil was 331. found cap tube hanging down from compression nut. broken off replaced t stat and almost stripped nut it was that tight. put SOCKET on it to get it out. replaced t stat and filled with oil and retested at 350. after cycling several times t stat was shutting off at 358 and back on at 346. unit is operational job complete.

• mclancey13

June 7, 2019 at 8:03 pm

★ 06/07/2019–wp–checked unit pilot lit but valve wouldn©t open looked at t stat and terminal #2
    left was pulled out. removed wires and touched together burner came on. went to remove 5/16 nut from cap tube and it stripped was too! tight. had to cut cap tube off to get socket on 9/16th nut because it was too tight and started to strip. got old t stat out and replaced with new. filled with oil and tested. shutting off at 356 and back on at 347. unit is operational job complete.