Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums how do you take blade off Berkel model gc

• fixbear

July 14, 2018 at 2:06 pm

I do not find that model in Berkel. And the only thing that starts with a G is a bread slicer.  How about you double check that model number.

And if you do not have the proper equipment to handle the blade safely, you may be farther ahead to send it out.

• ectofix

July 14, 2018 at 3:39 pm

From what I could find on the internet, that was a U.S. Slicing Machines model designation that Berkel picked up at some point.  Back in the forties maybe?.  An antique. 

From what I could tell from a picture of one on eBay, it might require a spanner wrench and something through one of the holes in the blade to keep it from turning.

I can’t say for sure without being there, though:

• fixbear

July 14, 2018 at 7:54 pm

Why didn’t I remember that. I had worked on a few of these Dutch designed machines in the past.  They started making them in Chicago in 1909. Moved to La-Port Indiana in 1915 for more room. Finding any parts like a blade is near impossible.

• izzygreen

July 16, 2018 at 7:49 am

ectofix is correct, a spanner wrench with a screw driver in the hole will remove that bolt You can always use a punch as well to loosen it up. fixbear I am not sure about other shops but I know my company has parts and even the blade for that slicer.

• fixbear

July 16, 2018 at 8:42 am

Nice. They have become very collectable today.  I know any chefs that had one never wanted to part with it.  Back in the time period that I worked on them was before the internet. Could only go by my supplier’s word. He eventually went under pushing people to buy his Globes because your machine was not fixable or parts weren’t available.. Any machine that is well built and loved by the owners,  will normally have some source of parts. Either original or aftermarket.  Having worked in a machine shop and having a brother that is a tool maker, It’s all if there is money to cover the cost of making it.