Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Blodgett gas convection oven

• Blodgett gas convection oven

Posted by guest on November 14, 2015 at 12:00 am

Our convection oven’s heat shuts off after about 10 minutes and/or sometimes it won’t fire up.  Does anyone know what to look for?

golfdug replied 8 years, 4 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fsm

November 17, 2015 at 8:50 pm

“Our” indicates this is an end user. Call an authorized service agency.

• kendog

November 26, 2015 at 2:15 pm

This type of question is DEFINITELY an “end-user” inquiry.

The forum was supposedly designed for TECHS to draw from experiences of OTHER techs.

There are considerable and imminent risks if the info that is SUPPOSED to be used by skilled techs is awkwardly used by untrained people.

And the topics get way off focus.

Without standards, this great idea is dangerously broken.

So, I agree with you, fsm.

• ectofix

November 26, 2015 at 2:39 pm

Yes:

Make sure the blower is running while the door is closed.  If it doesn’t run or intermittently stops running, air flow may be pushing the door open a little.  If that’s the case, then some adjustment of the compression lock may be the solution.

Otherwise, any other issues require knowledge and skills of a trained technician.  There’s a plethora of other possible issues that can cause the oven not to heat properly.

I hope this helps.

• ectofix

November 26, 2015 at 3:15 pm

I’ve edited my response accordingly.

My ORIGINAL response was merely an attempt to send a message to the end-user that the question “Does anyone know what to look for?” isn’t a question that can be answered nor solved on an open forum of the internet – and I’d elaborated on some details as proof that such things could only be understood by a trained technician.  However, I got a little too detailed.  So, that was a bad idea.

That’s the problem in an open forum like this. DIYers asking questions on how to fix their own stuff, without their understanding that doing so without proper knowledge and experience – can be dangerous.

The paradox of it all is that, if you outright tell some folks that they shouldn’t be fiddling with their own stuff and that they should call a tech, those folks will argue that us technicians are just trying to make a buck by keeping that info to ourselves.

I’ve seen this time and time again over at another forum.  It’s happening here now as well.  DIY information is EVERYWHERE on the internet for cars and fixing your own washing machine, etc.  That’s all fine and well for the technically or mechanically savvy folks.  I fix all my own personal stuff…and if I wasn’t sure how, I’ve used the internet MANY times for some instructions.

But there are FAR more people out there that should just…LEAVE IT ALONE and call someone who’s qualified to make such repairs.

Another angle to to consider is that COMMERCIAL KITCHEN EQUIPMENT should DEFINITELY be left to the professional since the implications of improper repairs by someone with no experience – can produce hazards that could not only immediately affect the employees of that business – but also the patrons of that establishment…or even neighboring establishments AS WELL.

Anyway…fsm and kendog, thanks for setting me straight.

• golfdug

November 27, 2015 at 8:21 am

To ease your minds regarding my post.  I am a journeyman building operations engineer that can repair most anything in front of me.  Sorry if I set off an alarm by not checking the “Tech” box when I asked my question I’m just not a certified commercial appliance technician.  Ectofix’s answer was not too detailed nor was it put in the hands of a DIYer, I was just inquiring because I had never seen this issue before.

Turns out the problem was in the temperature control board and we just happened to have a spare on hand.  I appreciate your input and your concern regarding this matter.