Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Manitowoc QM45A making very little ice, just changed water filter.

• Manitowoc QM45A making very little ice, just changed water filter.

Posted by guest on June 4, 2019 at 12:00 am

QM45A making very little ice, just changed water filter. I suspect it is a blinded air filter, but can’t get back to the machine for a while. After changing water filter (probably for the first time) unit made about 2″ of cubes after about 17 hours, I suspect the air filter assembly has never been looked at either. I’m just wanting to get some confirmation that that’s probably the first place to look.

fixbear replied 4 years, 9 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • ectofix

June 4, 2019 at 5:34 pm

Aside from the water filter, the FIRST thing you should do is a PROPER cleaning of the machine.  Namely, the DELIMING phase to remove mineral deposits by using Manitowoc Ice Machine Cleaner, then the sanitizing phase using a proper sanitizing solution.

This needs to be done at least once every six months.

FYI:  The majority of ice machine problems can be attributed to water problems, which occurs due to LACK of a proper cleaning regime.

Here’s the manual.  Follow the instructions in section 4:

UnderCounter Ice Machines QM45 Models – Installation, Operation and Maintenance Manual

• fixbear

June 4, 2019 at 7:42 pm

Make sure to also check the condenser fan to be operating at speed and moving adequate air through the coil.

• joemunoz95

July 9, 2019 at 8:51 am

replacing a water filter seems like an easy task because it is but you have to make sure that you purged the water filter by submerging it fully in water. but even after that make sure the water sensor or water board is working eno)ugh to make sure that the trough is being filled. secondly check your ice thickness probe (or whatever defrost mechanism is being used) to ensure that it isnt callibrated incorrectly but if you have a hoshizaki then thats a different story. also make sure that your condenser is clean. lastly your water pump could be clogged due to not cleaning it regularly give it a good clean and see if that helps if not its time to start troubleshooting

• olivero

July 11, 2019 at 9:12 am

joemunoz95 wrote:

replacing a water filter seems like an easy task because it is but you have to make sure that you purged the water filter by submerging it fully in water.

A what??

You purge a filter by running water through it and down the drain, not submerging it.

• joemunoz95

July 11, 2019 at 1:58 pm

ive always practiced submerging it and then after allowing running water to flow through the filter. as i used to install the filtration systems mcdonalds uses and the few times i did not submerge the filters the delivery system would occasionally get clogged from unflushed charcoal or whatever medium was being used to filter

• olivero

July 11, 2019 at 2:02 pm

Okay, but you do hook it up and run water down the drain right? Not just submerging it in a bucket.

The carbon comes out all the same when you run actual water through it, most filter systems have a tee with a valve on it so you can do just that.

• fixbear

July 12, 2019 at 7:31 am

Submerging it creates another problem.  Sanitation!  That means you have to clean a bucket, mix a sanitizer, and sanitize the bucket before you can submerge the filter.  Anything less and your getting into dangerous territory.  The tee is good, or removing the line and flushing into a container.  And yes,  I’ve found a lot of filter media in the screens for ice maker water valves. Especially the cheaper granulated charcoal ones.  I like the solid block Japanese charcoal  if it needs a charcoal for smell or taste.  But most Ice Machine filtration is for minerals.