Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives KM-1200SAE help

• KM-1200SAE help

Posted by guest on September 25, 2018 at 12:00 am

I recently bought a KM-1200SAE at auction and the 1-minute fill cycle will not start. When the unit is turned on to the ice making setting the water valve kicks on for about 2 seconds then turns off and nothing happens(water is hooked up and available). The wash cycle will start but because there is no water in the unit I immediately shut it off. Any suggestions as to how to start the 1-minute water cycle?

hwhalen replied 5 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • fixbear

September 25, 2018 at 1:07 pm

First off, this one may take a few questions to solve.  So it would be best for you to register for the site.  This will get you notice of comments and reposes immediately.

First, does any water come into the unit?. If not your water supply line may be blocked.  Insects like to nest in open lines. Last I knew this model uses a float valve for the water. They do clog if the water supply line has particles and was not flushed at time of hook up.  The solenoid you hear is the dump valve to remove minerals. Because the water sump is empty it closes. 

• hwhalen

September 25, 2018 at 1:56 pm

Thanks for your response. I’ve just created an account. 

Okay, so yes. Water is definitely coming into the unit. I’ve drained the reservoir and then each time I start the ice cycle a bit of water comes into the machine again and then there is water back in the reservoir. 

I’ve opened the float valve unit and did clean out a bit of minerals and particles that had gathered in it but it has not seemed to have fixed the issue. 

Thanks again, I appreciate your help! 

• fixbear

September 25, 2018 at 2:47 pm

Ok, now turn it on and wait. You should hear the compressor start and shortly after the water pump. Then the condenser fan.  If you hear the contactor come in for the compressor, but no compressor start, Ther may be a problem with electrical or compressor starting circuit that will require a tech.

• fixbear

September 25, 2018 at 2:51 pm

I meant to give you a service manual . here;

https://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/HOS-KM-1200SE_sm.pdf

Study the operation cycle. This is a old 1990’s design.

• fixbear

September 25, 2018 at 3:58 pm

I take that back on the float valve.  They apparently went to a float monitor on this one and a solenoid valve.  So if the float monitor isn’t fully up or out of position, the machine will not start.

The micro switch can be checked with a ohm meter at K5 connector of the board.

• fixbear

September 25, 2018 at 4:27 pm

I forgot to mention, historically the Marsh water pumps on these units have ball bearings and with age they sometimes get water in the bearings that make them lock up.  You may want to check the pump to see if it is free and getting power.

Also here is a parts manual;  being a auction machine last made in 96, I doubt you have books.

https://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/HOS-KM-1200SE_pm.pdf

• hwhalen

September 25, 2018 at 4:37 pm

Got it, I think the K5 connector is good. I get continuity there. I spoke with Hoshizaki tech support and they told me that if there is no power reading at the water supply value then the circuit board is dead and needs to be replace. So, I’ve check the power there with a volt meter and get no reading so I guess I need a new circuit board. 

• hwhalen

September 25, 2018 at 5:43 pm

Well, I just found a melted wire coming off of the capacitor on the circuit board. Will fix and let you know how it goes! 

Thank you again for your help and the links!