Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Blodgett steamer SC-10E no lights or timer operation

• Blodgett steamer SC-10E no lights or timer operation

Posted by guest on August 4, 2017 at 12:00 am

Both top and bottom steamers working fine but the ready light, cooking light, and timer do not work.  Its been out of operation for over a year.  I have about 17 volts coming to the timers on the black wires and 1.5v to the cooking and ready lights.  The timer measures about 16 kohms thru it.  Need some insight on this one.  

fixbear replied 6 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • fixbear

August 4, 2017 at 3:46 pm

burtonmac,  Unfortunately Blodgett does not make the wiring diagram available on line. If you can copy it for us,  I’m sure someone would help give you insite as to what to look for.  It’s not the first time many of us have followed another tech that installed a switch or some other item and swapped 2 or more wires incorrectly. I have seen this often on Vulcan snorkel ovens. 

Looking forward to seeing a diagram on this.

• burtonmac

August 4, 2017 at 3:50 pm

How do I attached a copy.?  I have a pic of it.

• fixbear

August 4, 2017 at 4:00 pm

When you add reply, oa the top bar there is a camera icon. Click it and follow. Or click a link icon if you have it on a server and add the linc

• burtonmac

August 4, 2017 at 4:44 pm

B

• ectofix

August 4, 2017 at 4:46 pm

QUESTION:  You said both steamers are working fine.  Are you saying that it’s supplying endless amounts of steam into the cooking compartment?

Of course, that should only happen when the  COOKING MODE switch is set to CONTINUOUS COOKING or, if in TIMED COOKING mode, whenever the timer is set.

Before any of THAT happens, what it’s supposed to do is pre-heat the generator water temperature to 205°F.  Once 205°F is reached, then it shuts off the heating elements and the READY light comes on. You wouldn’t see any steam during this pre-heat cycle.

From there, the only way you should being seeing steam is when it’s in a cook cycle.  Of course, That’s when the COOKING light would illuminate.

• burtonmac

August 4, 2017 at 4:51 pm

So yes it is bring in steam constantly.  Is it possible that all the lights are not working as well as the timers?  See readings in previous comments.

• ectofix

August 4, 2017 at 4:53 pm

So…if it’s steaming constantly, is that what it’s set to do?  What’s it doing in TIMED COOKING mode?

• burtonmac

August 4, 2017 at 4:58 pm

See previous.  I turn switch to On position and it  brings water in and starts steaming.  Whether timer is set or not.  No lights come on at anytime during steam.  Ready light or cooking light are not lit!!

• burtonmac

August 4, 2017 at 5:26 pm

Yes there is a thermostat.  I adjusted it ccw about 1/2 turn but maybe not enough.  I will try moving therm. all the way ccw first before I order all the lights and timers. Thanks 

• ectofix

August 4, 2017 at 5:37 pm

Is there not another switch to choose between TIMED or CONTINUOUS cooking mode?  I’m not trying to riled you up!  I just ask these questions because, when I’m looking at something…I have my eyes, ears and sometimes test equipment practically pinned to everything a unit does when I flip its switches.  As you get more familiar with working on this stuff, you’ll do the same.  It generally reveals a problem pretty quickly.

Enough of that, though.

SO…in the control compartment for each steamer cabinet, they each have what’s called an OPERATING THERMOSTAT.  It’s just a simple KX-style thermostat…probably located under the contactor.  It’s labelled a #9 in your schematic.  That thermostat is what controls preheating of the the boiler (uh…I mean steam generator).

PartsTOWN’s picture of it:

Operating thermostat, part number 4-TH05

Someone working on it in the past has tampered with them and turned them way too high.  As such, the unit’s thermostat apparently set at a temperature which puts them in a constant preheat mode…well ABOVE 212°F.  Until that preheat thermostat satisfies, the READY light, the TIMER and the COOKING light are rendered ineffective. 

So with the unit OFF and drained, I suggest backing both thermostats all the way CCW.  Then turn the cabinets on.  Let them heat to whatever that setting might be.  Monitor the pre-heat cycles. When they satisfy, I’ll bet all your lights and the timers work.

From there, adjust the thermostats so each boiler preheats to 205°F. 

Page 1 of 2