Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Hobart 2812 Sometimes spinning backwards

• Hobart 2812 Sometimes spinning backwards

Posted by guest on September 17, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hey I have a Hobart slicer model 2812 which is  Sometimes spinning backwards , I did not see the issue myself I ran it a few times and I do not see it spinning backwards the only thing I tested is the capacitor and I found that it is dead can that be a cause of why sometimes it’s running backwards or is there anything else I can check? it is a regular 110v unit.

fixbear replied 5 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 27 Replies
  • 27 Replies
  • ectofix

September 17, 2018 at 6:13 pm

I don’t know what you mean by finding the capacitor to be dead.  What did your test of it indicate?

• eritech1

September 17, 2018 at 6:35 pm

I tested the µF . And tested 0 , suppose to be 189-227 

i installed a new one and hoping that solves the issue!

• fixbear

September 17, 2018 at 6:41 pm

First I have to know what type of case the capacitor has.  Black plastic or metal.  Second, how did you test it and what did you use.

If a split phase or capacitor start motor, it very well can run  backward with a bad cap or start switch.  If a PSC motor, not likely.

• eritech1

September 17, 2018 at 6:52 pm

It’s a black round plastic start capacitor , I have A DVM UEi dl429, that u can test µF.

So I think this slicer has a split phase motor but how does  A bad cap make it spin backwards?

• fixbear

September 17, 2018 at 7:06 pm

Ok, check the centrifugal start switch.  Often they get spark burns or wear from the armiture and out of adjustment. It is closed for starting.. Unfortunately I don’t think you can buy Flexstones or point files anymore.  So a dollar bill and a little fine abrasive compound is about the best you can do at cleaning them

• ectofix

September 17, 2018 at 7:18 pm

It’s THIS:

Hobart part number 00-070487-00026 

Sound like you got it, eritech1.

The only other component to affect the motor start would be the electronic start switch:

Hobart part number 00-271612-00002 

Both of those are a PITA to get to to functionally test, so I’d replace BOTH while you’re in there.

Here’s Hobart’s latest manual (2017):

CATALOG OF REPLACEMENT PARTS MODEL 2000 SERIES SLICER 

• ectofix

September 17, 2018 at 7:24 pm

I’ve never taken any of the motors apart in OUR 2812s, but I don’t think they have a centrifugal switch in them.  They’re probably an solid state version of start relays for common refrigeration compressors.

• ectofix

September 17, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Hearing about single-phase induction motors running BACKWARDS has always been a mystery to me.  I’ve worked on MANY motor-driven units, but have never seen it myself.  Therefore I can only suspect the start components as being the culprit.

• fixbear

September 17, 2018 at 8:13 pm

I can’t tell if that is a current or a potential relay.. But if potential, it has to be indexed dead level to work correctly.  I still have a problem with how you tested the cap.  You can only test one and measure the micro-farads with a dedicated capacitor tester. And they are not cheap.  Hell, I don ‘t even own one.  I can check if a capacitor works, but I can not measure how many uf it is capable of. That requires a very specialized machine/ instrument. You can test with a Ohm meter if the capacitor works, but not it’s value.  First you must discharge it for both safety and test reasons. Then connect a analog ohm meter and watch the needle.  It will sweep from 0 to infinity.  now reverse the leads and it will do it again

To actually measure the capacitor requires a programed power input supply, and a measured load output.  Handheld DVOM’s can not achieve this requirement.

• badbozo2315

September 17, 2018 at 8:17 pm

Naa, it’s a solid state switch. I’ve let the magic smoke out of a few over the years…

And most good meters these days will do temperature, frequency, and micro farads. Even my little one does DC clamp measurements. Cool stuff…

Page 1 of 3