Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives imperial oven wont light

• imperial oven wont light

Posted by guest on September 4, 2016 at 12:00 am

I have a 36″ Imperial true commercial range, has 4 burners, a salamander broiler/griddle and the lower oven.   Oven is not lighting.  I flip the on/off switch and have the temp setting about 250 and the burner does not turn on.  Indicator bulb for burner on does not come on.  I smell slight gas smell so i shut it off.   Cannot find model number on plate, paint peeled off tag and cannot make out any numbers. 

ectofix replied 7 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • ectofix

September 4, 2016 at 6:12 pm

You did well in your description of what you have there, but still not enough.  That model number would have zoomed right in.  Yet,that’s the nature of commercial cooking equipment.  As a tech, I frequently encountered a similar situation.  Data plates don’t hold up very well in blazing hot cooking equipment.

I’m not well versed on Imperial range units.  They’re simply not as prolific as other brands.  Typically, gas range ovens are usually just standard ovens using a standing pilot burner that’s monitored by a pilot safety valve.  Those units require no electricity, no switches and no lights.

Some manufacturers incorporate an electronic ignition system into their design – particularly if the oven is a CONVECTION oven.  Maybe yours is one of those.  Those generally rely on a “spark” to light the pilot burner.  The electronic control must prove that a pilot flame is present before gas is supplied to the main burner.  If there’s no pilot flame is sensed, then the oven won’t work.

That safety feature was incorporated (as a requirement) to prevent a buildup of gas inside the oven that can explode, blow the door open and hurt someone.

There’s really not much more I can tell you to help you figure out why the oven won’t work.  You problem requires a qualified technician to diagnose the issue.

I recommend that you unplug it and call a service company to repair it.