Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I want to replace our Blodgett combi with a regular convection oven. 

• I want to replace our Blodgett combi with a regular convection oven. 

Posted by guest on August 16, 2018 at 12:00 am

We have a Blodgett BX-14g on top of a blodgett DFG200 on bottom.  The steamer has been so much trouble that we want to get rid of it.  Does anyone know if we can we just buy another DFG200 and stack it top ?  Is it more practical to just get whole nother double convection oven ?  If so, What is a good brand to consider. 

ectofix replied 5 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ectofix

August 16, 2018 at 11:35 am

Is the DFG200 you have in good condition?  How old is it?  Is anything rusted through?  Over time, those ovens might rust through under the burner.  It’s rare, but it’s possible.

If it’s in good condition, then you’d save a bunch of money (around $10,000) by just adding another DFG200 on top of it.  Stacking kits are available for a nominal fee. Here’s an example:

Blodgett 58341 KIT,STACKING 200ES ON DEEP 

Be warned, though.  A single DFG200 weighs 565 lbs.  Additionally, you’d most certainly want to be sure the new flue venting is installed correctly.  I HIGHLY recommend that you hire a service company to do the stacking, install the flue venting, joiner brackets and make the gas connection.

It’d be prudent for you to call Blodgett at 802-658-6600 to get the best answer on what kit or parts are needed.  Have the model AND serial number of your existing oven when you do.  That info can be found behind the kick panel.  Unplug the oven from power before removing that.  On older ovens, there might also be a metal plate with the serial number stamped into it just above the doors or control panel (you awkwardly gotta look up at it). 

If either data plates are crusted over, use a damp Scotchbrite pad and some elbow grease to scrub away the crust.

• genemattice

August 16, 2018 at 11:48 am

this oven is around 7 years old and we have never had any issues with the convection oven.  The combi however is broken more than working lately.  the racks have been welded several times and the welder says they are total crap.  350 dollars each for new ones.  This oven happens to be a Deep or Bakery size oven but I don’t know that we actually need that..  I saw some other ovens,  a “Duke”  for example E102G or a blodgett sho-100-6 that were fairly inexpensive. Not sure they will even work for us.  I think one of them  was 50,000 btu which seemed way low since ours is 130,000 I think.  I want very simple controls to match our very untrained staff.  I know our equipment takes a beating .  Is Blodgett about as good as any other ?  After all is said and done at 500 or 600 pounds and the headache of installing it in a busy kitchen it may be better to replace it with something really reliable and get it over with. 

• ectofix

August 16, 2018 at 12:15 pm

The  DFG100s won’t properly fit on the 200s because the 200 is deeper.  Therefore the flue venting in the stacking kit won’t line up.  You’d have to get another DGF200 for the installation to work.

BTW:  The 200 is what’s called “baker’s depth” ovens.  So I guess they’ll take larger pans that the 100s won’t.

As for what BRAND of oven you could go with?  My answer is subjective from a technician’s standpoint. 

My advice is to stick with Blodgett.  My opinion is that they set a benchmark in the market of what a tried and true convection oven design should be.  They’re the most prolific brand out there, so parts are plentiful.  They’re the simplest ovens to troubleshoot and repair.  They’re most definitely built more solidly than most competitors.

You can get a DFG200 with the most basic controls, so complexity wouldn’t be an issue.  Here’s some links:

DFG-200  Spec sheet