Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums How to install hot gas valve on maxx ice 100 MIM100 ?

• How to install hot gas valve on maxx ice 100 MIM100 ?

Posted by guest on March 30, 2018 at 12:00 am

MAXX ICE 100 makes some ice then stops because thick layer/slate of ice forms at evap plate. Called tech line and was advised to replace hot gas valve. ordered valve and its flared on both ends. Has anyone installed one of these before?  Here is the part number 

thank you!

fixbear replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ectofix

March 30, 2018 at 8:38 pm

REALLY?  OMG!!!

Are you a technician?

Replacing that requires EPA 608 certification, a recovery machine w/tank, a proper drier/filter for the system, a vacuum pump, a set of manifold gauges, a tank of the proper refrigerant, refrigerant scales.  Maybe some some sundry items like silfoss, flux, bubble leak detector, saddle valve or Schrader valve inserts.  Certainly some special other tools I can’t name until I need them…and I have.

SO, if you have to ask HOW to replace that valve, then you have no business even attempting it! 

CALL A TECHNICIAN!!!

March 31, 2018 at 5:38 am

Thick chunk of ice on the evaporator? Sounds like what ever device that initiates the harvest has failed. If the mfg tech has condemned the expansion valve, it may be cheaper to replace the unit, unless its fairly new. Bite the bullet and have a qualified technician come out and look at it. You’ll be money ahead, in the long run.

• fixbear

March 31, 2018 at 10:37 am

To lose a hot gas valve is a super rarity. To have one leak and interfere with the ice production, different story.  One needs to actually troubleshoot the machine before condemning that valve.  The factory tech on the phone is only going by what you told him.

Does the machine go into harvest?

Does the valve get power during harvest? 

Is the solenoid coil open? 

does the liquid line feel hot downstream of the hot gas bypass valve during the ice=making cycle?

Has the machine been installed correctly and is level? 

Does the machine have a adequate water supply.  I slow it will hamper harvest. 

Is the ambient air temp around the machine above 65F and below 90F?

More that likely, you have a sensor problem that is not telling the machine to go into harvest.  First, clean the machine. With the correct ice machine cleaner for there evaporator.  It may very well go away.  Nickle safe ice machine cleaner is needed to clean it. If you don’t have a manual, here is one to help clean. 

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/MXCD-MIM75-100-130_iom.pdf

If you do not see the yellow harvest light come on after 20 minutes of ice making, you need to check you evaporator temp sensor.