Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Rational Scc62g

• Rational Scc62g

Posted by guest on September 5, 2019 at 12:00 am

Having problem with Power Transformer. Keeps geeting fried when we do a clean cycle. Any idea what would be causing this problem?

rationaltechnician replied 4 years, 6 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ryantruck9

September 5, 2019 at 3:32 pm

I have a couple questions:

Is this a 120V unit?

By power transformer are you referring to a round step up transformer?

this round transformer powers all the 240V parts. (pumps and valves)

It should have 0.8 Amp fuse protecting the transformer secondary (240VAC)

make sure this fuse hasn’t been replaced with a higher current rated fuse.

As i am sure you are aware the fuse is quite a bit cheaper than the transformer

You likely have a leak that is causing a short at your clean jet pump.

check your clean jet pump and mounting box for debris or water/sludge indicating a leak

if it is a large leak you may have dried up detergent covering the floor of the control area

the leak HAS to be repaired before replacing the pump or it will short again

It could also be a solenoid valve that has shorted (Y2 quench, Y3 moistening  perhaps)

i am not sure of your S# or age of unit, they use different valves for cleaning depending on age

• rationaltechnician

September 14, 2019 at 11:20 pm

As Ryantruck suggested, this is likely caused by a leak.  I suspect your unit has the round transformer under the cooking cabinet.  This was in serial numbers with letter E in the 5th position.

On these units, if the door gasket is worn and not changed, water would leak through the frame to the transformer.  To alleviate this problem, put some washers under the transformer so it is avoided.

But since these transformers went to a more solid “water proof” version, you might want to look a little deeper.  Old style looked like a donut wrapped in plastic, other version looked like a solid state black round large hockey puck.

If this is a 120V Pri. – 230V sec. transformer, confirm supply voltage to unit.  Make sure it is 120V.

Also confirm fuse as Ryantruck suggested.  The inline fuse on transformer shall not be more than 1A. (0.8A from factory).  

If this fuse keeps blowing, don’t just change fuse, check the cause.  If it seems to happen always during CleanJet, investigate pressure hose, steam hose and emptying hose leaking onto CleanJet pump.

If moistening nozzle is leaking, it can follow this hose to CleanJet pump.

to find leaks, use a dry paper towel around all hose connections.

Good luck, we hope you find your issue.