Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives can i convert cleveland steam kettle to 480 volt

• can i convert cleveland steam kettle to 480 volt

Posted by guest on October 27, 2018 at 12:00 am

I am looking at a like new clevland ket -12-t-12    it is 3 phase 208 volt.. is it possible to convert to 3 phase 480 volt??

fixbear replied 5 years, 5 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • fixbear

October 27, 2018 at 8:59 pm

Is it possible?  it’s always possible,  But is it feasible?  Not really.  It would require a new control panel with a control transformer, high voltage fuse blocks, extensive rewiring, and new heaters.  All 9.  And they are not a service item.  You could install a step down transformer before the unit to supply 208.  If yu really are serious about converting it, you would have to contact Cleveland because it would need a model change to make it 480. 

• ectofix

October 28, 2018 at 5:29 am

The most prohibitive aspect are the heating elements.  The elements CANNOT be removed individually.  They’re permanent components of the kettle section. 

So, an entirely different kettle section is required for changing from 208v to 480v.  That’s essentially the whole unit.

• fixbear

October 28, 2018 at 11:30 am

Like I said, not a serviceable item.   Also only about 10KW.  But being a countertop unit it would cost about the same to buy a new one as installing a transformer.   Like I said,  Not Feasible.

• ectofix

October 28, 2018 at 7:51 pm

Yup.  You nailed it. 

Apologies.

• fixbear

October 29, 2018 at 7:48 am

What I didn’t mention was that a 11 KW transformer, a 600 volt disconnect with fuses,  a 250 volt disconnect, and labor  would cost as much as a new kettle today.  Can’t seem to get over the increases in electrical cost from what I used to charge.. OUCH!