Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums R290 or CARE 40

• ectofix

May 6, 2015 at 6:01 pm

I haven’t, and probably won’t where I’m working.

I understand TRUE has some R290 units out for awhile now and they host a certification class for their warranty guys.  The class is done by RSES, I think.

An acquaintance ran across a residential HVAC unit illegally charged with R-22A (R290).  He didn’t know it and blew up his recovery unit.

If EPA’s newest proposal is approved (it might already be), then vending machines and PTACs will join that group of small commercial units allowing HCs as a refrigerant.

• totaltech1

May 6, 2015 at 6:04 pm

Farm Supply stores were selling it to anyone here in the Midwest last summer. It came with a video on how to charge your home unit with R22A . It Had warning stickers the home owner was “Supposed” to attach to the unit

• ectofix

May 6, 2015 at 6:53 pm

Is that like Rural King?  They were pushing their R-22a pretty aggressively about a year ago, but now it’s no longer offered.  They even had a YouTube video commercial on theirs.  The video might still be up, but I don’t think they’re selling it.

The EPA got the FBI got involved last year, and many suppliers received notice.  About this time last year, Amazon even had it from various manufacturers like EcoFreeeze (yes, 3 “Es”), FrostyCool, RedTek and others.  You look those up now and they all say  “currently unavailable.”

I am NOT a proponent of those cheap alternatives to R-22 that any-old-body can buy on the internet.  From many of my REVIEWS on Amazon, I hope I made a difference in taking them off the market on Amazon.  Can’t do the same over at E-Bay though.

The day will come when HCs will be used in HVAC units, but the U.S. isn’t ready yet.  Our systems weren’t designed for the safety measures necessary for it.

• ectofix

May 6, 2015 at 6:59 pm

…and of course, what H/O is gonna worry about sticking a sticker on their unit?  NOT MANY!  That makes it so much more dangerous for a guy like you for not knowing you can blow yourself up working on their HVAC.