Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives replace thermostat

• replace thermostat

Posted by guest on January 20, 2018 at 12:00 am

We just bought a 36L77R Vulcan range serial number 881854 its from 1987 it works but the temp regulator does not, so it only goes up to high heat. we were told a replacement thermostat ran $75. I do not see which one we need and I believe they are not that price. Can you tell me which one I need to order for this model? 

thanks

colleen

john replied 6 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • ectofix

January 20, 2018 at 8:22 pm

Vulcan Hart 00-913066 ND, KIT THERMOSTAT W/ DIAL | Parts Town 

You’ll need to hire a technician to properly install it. It requires proper setup and a gas leakage test after installation.

• fixbear

January 21, 2018 at 8:00 pm

ectofix wrote:

Additionally, you said you were told that a replacement thermostat costs $75.  That’s an a-w-f-u-l-l-y low price for a BJ gas thermostat.  Perhaps that’s the 1987 price? 

Not TODAY!

It hasn’t been in that range since the early 70’s.  The big jump in price was about 76.

• ectofix

January 21, 2018 at 8:32 pm

In case it’s needed, here’s the manual on that old range:

SERVICE AND PARTS MANUAL FOR ECONOLINE SERIES GAS RESTAURANT RANGES MODELS: 36L77R, 36FL77R, 60L77R, 60FL77R, 160L77R, 260L77R

I feel I should clarify a few things:

The part number I gave you is for the OVEN thermostat.  The number has apparently changed, so my further research came up with the number I provided in my previous post.

NOTE: The manual above highlights the oven thermostat’s ORIGINAL part number – with an interactive hyperlink to it at the PartsTOWN website.  However, that link merely leads to a blank page.    To the folks at PartsTOWN, please take note in order to correct that error.

Colleen,

You never specified whether the thermostat you’re needing is one for an OVEN.  I now see that this old range was also offered with thermostat controls for the griddle as well (despite the unit pictured on the manual’s cover). 

That GRIDDLE thermostat part number WAS 408823-5, but appears to now be obsolete.

Additionally, you said you were told that a replacement thermostat costs $75.  That’s an a-w-f-u-l-l-y low price for a BJ gas thermostat.  Perhaps that’s the 1987 price? 

Not TODAY!

I’m thinking that a price of $75 in more in line with a simple burner control valve.  If so, then the part number for that is 404076 – and requires the old orifice spud be used.

By the way,

I always liked those well built, old Vulcan Hart ranges for some reason.  Much like the now-defunct (for many years) Franklin Chef gas ranges, I mainly encountered them in a well-preserved (rarely used) condition  …in small, old church kitchens.

• john

January 23, 2018 at 3:28 pm

Forwarding this to our product data team- thanks!