Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums New fryer smell an taste

• New fryer smell an taste

Posted by guest on March 16, 2018 at 12:00 am

Hello,

My Name is Sal Shepherd     Knights of Columbus # 12989

We purchased a new Black  Diamond fryer  On receiving the fryer we cleaned with fryer Boil-Out.

We have bought this product to clean our fryers for several years. From the same distributor we got the fryer from.

Our process is fill fryers with oil from same distributor an same brand. At 2:30 light pilots, than at 3:45

turn them on to 350 degrees. Everything goes great until 5:30- 6:00 we smell a  plastic smell than taste a metallic flavor in shrimp. We move to a different fryer no problem. We buy our shrimp from same people every year. IQF shrimp, we defrost our shrimp in running water. than put in chest with water an ice.

As we use the shrimp they are rinsed again.

Please any help in this matter would be much appreciated.

Sal Shepherd

Email  northshoreengraving@yahoo.com

fixbear replied 6 years, 1 month ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • fixbear

March 17, 2018 at 7:01 am

Sal, you gave us a lot of information, but not the most important one.  What model of fryer?  I suspect something from shipping was in your pot bottom.  Likely taped in.  That or a foreign object accidentally fell in.  Screen the oil when you drain to find it. Make sure to fully inspect the tank with a light and mirror. 

Original set up should have included a tank washout with detergent,wiping and rinse to remove the protection oils.  When using boil out, you should rinse simmer for 15 min with a vinegar solution to neutralize the PH of the lye.  Check you manual.  I do not know if Boil-out will cut the sprayed on protection coating.  It is made to break down with soap.