Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Standard Oven shuts off during service

• Standard Oven shuts off during service

Posted by guest on January 14, 2019 at 12:00 am

I have a Southbend S24E range/oven. The oven is used for plate warming during service. It is kept at around 200 degrees. Every night the oven will go out and needs relighting (Pushing the pilot knob and on from there). We made sure the wires are tight on the valve and replaced the thermopile. It still goes out. Would replacing the valve help resolve the issue? What else can we do to prevent this from happening?

henry replied 5 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • fixbear

January 14, 2019 at 7:37 pm

Southbend on that range uses a thermopile instead of a thermo couple.  Therfore the pilot flame has to be on for it to be right.  This is the possibles;

I suggjest that you take a digital multimeter and check the output of the thermopile. Open it should be aproximatly 750 millivolts. Connected to the valve it needs to be above 450 millivolts. You will see it change as you adjust the pilot flame. 

What fuel is it on and if the original plate is not the same,  You may have the wrong orifice or pilot assembly.  I also highly recommend that you pressure test the gas pressure and regulator setting with a manometer.  Do you  see a normal pilot flame or does it soot or burn yellow at all.  . 

The other thing I have seen with them is that the pilot orifice and air intake get clogged with lint that reduces the heat for the thermopile.  It will start as tripping after long off periods and increase to tripping during use.  The radiant heat in the burner area tends to provide just enough extra heat to keep it lit during use, but after a long cooling period it trips out from low voltage.

• fixbear

January 14, 2019 at 7:43 pm

I forgot to let you know about gas pressure adjustment.  Make sure that the regulator vent is clear and open.  This is the one one the back of the range connected to your supply.

By doing it this way it also test to see if you have sufficient supply.

• olivero

January 18, 2019 at 12:20 pm

If your regulator has a vent limiter in it, the little brass plug looking thing, it could be clogged preventing the diaphragm of the regulator from moving.

Normally when I have erratic or no performance, I change it out, sometimes that’s what it is. 

• henry

January 31, 2019 at 8:39 pm

That’s the basic stuff but over the years I also found some weird ones like them turning fans on when they were busy to try to stay cool and it would flicker the pilot flame and as the burner went out it would kill it