Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives My unit is working fine as far as cooling, water in leaking in the cabnit and I can’t find the drain

• My unit is working fine as far as cooling, water in leaking in the cabnit and I can’t find the drain

Posted by guest on April 12, 2017 at 12:00 am

I think the drain is clogged. I see the drain hose but don’t know how to get to the drain to unplug it.

fixbear replied 7 years ago 1 Member · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • fixbear

April 12, 2017 at 9:42 am

Hello guest.  First off we need a model number of your case to provide accurate answers. Second, if you register you will get notice of answers.

On reach in coolers,  the evaporator is at the top of the case and has a drain pan at it’s bottom.  The pan is tapered to the drain fitting and a hose connected that goes thru the rear of the case to a condensate pan under the unit.  With bottom compressors the condenser fan and heat will evaporate the water.  With top compressors the condensate pan is heated with electricity.  Some cabinets also have a floor drain to the same pan. All drains have to have a trap to prevent insects from entering the cabinet.

Now we have a understanding of the system,  the common location of blockage is the trap from fungal and bacterial build up. Usually caused by open containers, cardboard,fibers or spills. Compressed air from either the top or bottom will usually clear the line.  Also check that the line is over the pan.  Older machines may have corroded threw at both the evaporator drain or condensate pan. Hopes this helps.