Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Henny Penny pfg690  w/sms controler.

• Henny Penny pfg690  w/sms controler.

Posted by guest on March 8, 2019 at 12:00 am

I have 2 machines doing the same thing slow to heat. controller calling for heat. igniter sparking,gas block releases gas, blower working ,flame burns for 20 to 30 sec..shuts down for 10 sec.(cycles). everything working as it should..it takes over an hour  to get to 330 deg.

what am I missing?

fixbear replied 4 years, 12 months ago 1 Member · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • eritech1

March 8, 2019 at 7:17 am

Since u say you have two units that are doing the same thing, I would make sure you are grounded properly. Start from the wall make sure u have ground all the way from your power source.

and then flame rod. 

• robertm

March 8, 2019 at 7:26 am

thank you , same problem at 2 different stores.

• fixbear

March 8, 2019 at 7:26 am

Not being there to hear and see what is happening I can’t give you a definitive answer.  But I can tell you what to check.

First make sure you gas supply is fully on and the gas valve is fully on. Are the quick connectors fully locked.  Reconnect them. Check gas pressure with a manometer.

Temp probe may be off. ohm it out with this chart. if over 10 degrees off replace.

Dilution box needs cleaning or blower dirty. Check if it’s tripping out from the air flow switch.

Air valve; allows shortening to mix and keep temp even through the pot. If not working the oil can get hot at one spot and not full heat.

This is the manual you will need.

https://www.partstown.com/modelManual/HEN-PFG690_spm.pdf

Often they are not fully cleaned and maintained right. Do you have any E codes come up?

• robertm

March 8, 2019 at 7:34 am

thank you fixbear,

i am not getting any codes.i did replace the blower,i will ohm the temp probe today.but when i checked temp (read out) i got the same temp.

you are correct these machines have not been cleaned nor maintained  in years

• fixbear

March 8, 2019 at 7:41 am

I forgot to ask you what flame control module you have and if you monitored it with the short burn’s.  You could also be having a flame sense problem.  The module LED’s differ in what and how they indicate by brand.  A dirty flame rod or poor ground from the burner will allow light and when the main comes on may disrupt the rectification.

• eritech1

March 8, 2019 at 8:05 am

O thought these were new units! 

But like fixbear was saying it seams like u are haveing a flame rectification issue 

• fixbear

March 8, 2019 at 8:16 am

Take your voltmeter on start up and monitor the burner control for incoming power to determine if it is a control problem or burner problem. Helps to narrow it down before shotgunning it and going crazy.

• rico

March 9, 2019 at 5:55 am

I have the same units. It sounds to me like they are on the melt cycle. If you are using shortening, this is done to protect  the fry pot from hot spots. It not necessary with oil but will prolong the life of the oil.

Try a little experiment, when you first start them up cold, press and hold the number one button. If it is in the melt cycle, after a couple of second new it will beep and ask if you want to exit the melt cycle. Push the one again and the burners should come on and run till you reach temp.

Again, if you use shortening, I would NOT recommend this. 

If you use oil and want to eliminate the wait time, go to the level two programming in the controller and just turn it off.

I / we use oil here but I left it on to get a little more life out of our oil.

I asked around but there is no way they really quanitify just how much you get/save because of all the variables. I figure that if I can get one extra day of oil useage every couple of weeks, I it adds up to at least two oil changes a year. We use canola oil which is the top of the line. So, waiting an hour saves a couple of hundred dollars a year. Not a lot in the grand scheme of things but a little here and a little there……..

Paul

• rico

March 9, 2019 at 6:01 am

I just reread my reply. I hate I phones! Or, just another tec blaming the tools for a pi… poor job. LOL

Paul

• robertm

May 1, 2019 at 7:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

just a follow up.and thank you for all the pointers.

SOO this is what happened. went back over everything gas flow,pounds of pressure,flame censer,temp probe,safety systems,vacuum censer ,blower,programming ,traded out the controller from a newer unit.

In the end the air box was clogged up.she was running on 4 holes out of 15.mechanically she was running correctly BUT the blower was pulling the flame thru the chamber so fast it took for ever to heat up.

As for the other machine,it was an intermittent censor gone bad.

i feel so foolish .

Page 1 of 2