Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The Hot Side Amana Microwave

  • Amana Microwave

     fixbear updated 3 months, 3 weeks ago 4 Members · 8 Posts
  • MarketingtoMaintenance

    Member
    December 8, 2019 at 4:43 pm

    I have an Amana microwave that started on fire in a corner of the grease shield on top. I’ve looked all over the inside of the cooking cavity and taken the cover off and don’t see where anything could have sparked and started the fire or scorch marks. Anybody have an idea on what could have caused it?

    Mod# HDC21DQ

    MFG# P2002211M

    SER#1210100322

  • ectofix

    Member
    December 8, 2019 at 5:20 pm

    Probably grease.  The grease shield is plastic and really isn’t supposed to get hot.  If it does, the plastic can catch fire.

    Microwave energy can concentrate on grease.  The resulting carbon left behind after it’s burned off also can get VERY hot – to a point where it can actually damage (through etching and carbon tracking) the stainless steal interior of a microwave.

    It’s VERY important to clean a microwave on occasion to prevent these things (or a fire) from happening.

    • MarketingtoMaintenance

      Member
      December 8, 2019 at 5:23 pm

      I was thinking grease build up of some kind, but assumed there would be signs of sparking from another part. So once we replace the grease shield it should be good to use again?

      • ectofix

        Member
        December 8, 2019 at 5:30 pm

        Yes, but I suggest doing a really good cleaning all around.  Also, if it appears that the silicone around the floor of the cooking compartment appears compromised (again, due to grease), you might want to have it resealed so the grease can’t migrate underneath the ceramic floor.  It can really wreak havoc down there where the lower antenna is.

      • ectofix

        Member
        December 8, 2019 at 5:34 pm

        Kenchow offers some good advice as well.

        You might be better served to have someone look at it who has experience at microwaves. 

        Impossible for anyone to do that over the internet. 

  • kenchow

    Member
    December 8, 2019 at 5:30 pm

    Is this in a business, Dairy Queen? Make sure ceiling is clean and good condition, no oil or food spatter, carbonized food; waveguide may be dirty and food residues burning. Staff use something metal inside? May need to replace antenna. All else fails, call ACP like I do.

    • MarketingtoMaintenance

      Member
      December 8, 2019 at 5:42 pm

      Will do. 

      I would hope that the staff didn’t stick something metal in there, I am based about 2.5 hours away from the location it happened at, but who knows anymore. These days it seems you can convince just about anyone to do even the dumbest things that any common sense would make you question, so I have become accustomed to hearing some very dumb things being done by staff. Still waiting for the day someone sticks a knife in an outlet for no better reason than because why not.

  • fixbear - ADK NY

    Member
    December 8, 2019 at 7:05 pm

    I’ve seen the upper antenna come loose and start arcing before. Might want to check that during your cleaning.

Log in to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now