Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums General Atosa msf8302 cooling on and off

Tagged: 

• Atosa msf8302 cooling on and off

Posted by flakflaki on January 4, 2021 at 12:28 am

It’s been like a month that i’ve been watching it but can’t figure it out what could be wrong with it. It cools and keeps the temperature for few hours and all the sudden stops cooling and temperature goes up for hours , when i touch the compressor it feels hot and running also the coil fan works perfect, coils are clean everything seems to be working fine but just not cooling sometimes .

I figured the freon should be fine since it cools for hours sometimes and it is not that old ,also all the settings on the meter are set correctly, we bought it in 2015 brand new.

Any idea what could it be?

fixbear replied 3 years, 3 months ago 3 Members · 21 Replies
  • 21 Replies
  • fixbear

January 4, 2021 at 9:23 am

First off, this type of cabinet is prone to overloading. Make sure there is air clearance in both the front and back of the load inside. Especially the front. I’ve come across many that the door will not fully seal due to load to far forward or to big. Next, always make sure the pans are in the top, even if they are empty. Now when it does this is the compressor running or tripping on overload/hard start? Is the evaporator coil (the one inside) have any ice or heavy frost on it. Often in high load times it will run to long and ice up. Especially if there is a open high moisture product loaded or a warm product loaded. Also if the drain is restricted. You can try raising the thermostat a bit. Check the evaporator with a mirror from the drain side for this. You will also notice a reduced air flow inside the cabinet with ice up.

Another possibility is the control system. I don’t know if yours is mechanical or digital. The digital ones can have a sensing problem or relay problem. Compressor would not be running when it is rising temp in that situation. But you may be seeing it after it has risen.

Make sure to check the liquid line coming out of the high temp situation to see how hot it is. IT should be a max of 10 degrees above ambient room temp. Otherwise you have a condenser cooling problem. They use a very thick condenser (6 rows deep) that is prone to restriction. Check by shining a light thru it.

Hope this help you.

• fixbear

January 4, 2021 at 9:32 am

Is this the same unit you had the low ambient on? If so, I’d be looking at replacing a thermistor or checking the wiring to the controller and the mounting of the thermistor to the evaporator. Especially where the cable goes through the housings.

• flakflaki

January 5, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Hello there , yes It is the same unit but I already figured those out , i called Atosa costumer service and we went through the all settings together with one of the technicals so i thong the thermistor is set correct now,

I unplugged it yesterday till this morning just to see if it might change anything , still waiting . The temp right now is at 42F

It’s just hard to figure it out myself, i had a guy he charged me 150$ , he said he fixed it but he didn’t, I don’t want to bring someone else before i have an idea of what’s going on

• fixbear

January 5, 2021 at 1:16 pm

And what did he do?

• flakflaki

January 5, 2021 at 2:13 pm

Nothing actually, he came in while I wasn’t there he said he cleaned it and it was cooling and he left , but he thought he did but he didn’t fix the problem still doing the same , someone els said that it needs a new meter or thermistor just like you said, but not willing to pay 400$ just for that, he said 400$ just to replace that

• fixbear

January 5, 2021 at 4:09 pm

The thermistor should only be about $30 to$40 bucks. Think you need to find a more reputable refrigeration man. Contact your local chapter of RSES or a supply house like United refrigeration. They know who is good and will recommend someone local to you. A good supply house will be working with RSES with training.

• flakflaki

January 7, 2021 at 1:30 pm

I already replaced this temperature control but still doing the same , the fans are working compressor feels hot and running, it will only start cooling after I unplug it for like 15 seconds and plug it back , after it reaches 35F it stops and even if the compressor turns back on it doesn’t cool, i’m wondering if it has anything to do with the component capacitor, relay component or that computer board. Not sure what else should i try next!

DE53EFFC D91C 443B BB52 06EA62EEF714 0D941E14 6467 498F 9C4A 1D64ACEE2625
  • fixbear

January 7, 2021 at 3:50 pm

Are you certain that the compressor is RUNNING? Not just trying to start.

• flakflaki

January 7, 2021 at 4:09 pm

Every time i touch it, is hot and it has a little vibration, feels like running, i might be wrong but that’s how it feels ,

You said that the Thermistor could be the problem, i thought the thermistor is the display on the front that shows the temperature numbers and has all those settings , I changed the display but didn’t help,

Do you know where is this thermistor located and what does it do ?

I might try that next,

Thanks

• fixbear

January 7, 2021 at 6:23 pm

The thermistor is a sensing device that is mounted in or on the evaporator coil to tell the controller what temperature the coil is at. Normally about a 1/4 inch in diameter and about a inch plus long with a wire cable out of it that goes to the back of the controller. It is a variable resistor that changes resistance as the temperature changes.

Page 1 of 2