Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Can I replace the blade on my Globe slicer myself??

• john

January 18, 2018 at 10:23 am

Good Morning,

Replacing the blade shouldn’t be too difficult. Here’s a link the manual: Globe Food Equipment Company – 4913 Series 

I noticed there’s no direct instruction about removing the blade, but disassembly of the blade guard to get to the blade is included, and I imagine it should be apparent once you can see the blade.

Use caution when handling the blade. If you have a protective glove handy, I highly recommend using it. 

If you have more questions, please let us know!

-John

• fixbear

January 18, 2018 at 10:23 am

Not knowing your ability’s or the model of the slicer,  Thatt’s a hard one to answer correctly.  Most globe slicers have to have a bit of tear down to do and without the special tools that are required I would recommend you send it out.  Also if it is at the point that it needs a new blade,  It should be totally torn down,  cleaned, and re-lubricated. Gear clearances, seals, and lubrication are a critical point to longevity.  More than likely you would be farther ahead sending it out.

• john

January 18, 2018 at 3:50 pm

I have to amend my original comment and agree with fixbear, as his knowledge exceeds mine. I also hadn’t considered this model has a sharpening procedure as shown on pages 13-15 at this link: https://globefoodequip.com/pdfs/doclib/globe_docs/arbys%204913%20manual%20english.pdf 

So, if your blade is beyond even extended sharpening, there may be other issues that will bring you back to square one. 

• fixbear

January 18, 2018 at 4:11 pm

Nice to hear from you John.  I have worked on several slicers, but even I have sent them out to a Globe center for repair under these circumstances.

• izzygreen

January 19, 2018 at 8:54 am

That model has one bolt holding the knife onto the bearing hub, it’s a fairly easy change but I agree with fixbear if your slicer has gotten to the point of needing a new blade it should probably go through a breakdown for PM.

I know that there are companies that sell the entire bearing hub as an assembly that you can just pop in there, on that particular slicer I believe its 4 screws on the outer shroud of the knife hub.

Good luck

• buddy-moore

January 19, 2018 at 7:17 pm

Also for safety if you do replace your own blade remember they are extremely sharp. A stuck bolt, screw or anything that doesn’t seem right when removing could cause you to “slip off” hurt yourself. Always remember to dispose of the old blade with out the potential of someone else getting hurt. I normally take to a scrap yard and or package it in cardboard…. no one wants to get hurt. 

• izzygreen

January 22, 2018 at 7:49 am

buddy.moore I know that Globe does not ship out any blades pre-sharpened for that exact reason, they require the blade to be sharpened onsite once it has been installed. I do not know about the after market blades but OEM should come as a dull blade. That being said, it’s still a machined blade sharp or not, safety precautions should be taken at all times.

January 26, 2018 at 5:15 am

Even a “dull” blade will slice you like a razor. wear protective gloves. I know it may be expensive but having a pro do it is always safer. Watch how he does it and next time you may feel up to trying it your self.

There are some knife sharpening companies that will sharpen your old blade for you, if its not too far gone. You didn’t say if you had tried sharpening it your self, with the provided tool. Depending on the volume at your location, you can go a few years before it needs to be replaced.