Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Walk-in coolers/freezers with HASP-type locks (!!!)

• Walk-in coolers/freezers with HASP-type locks (!!!)

Posted by guest on April 2, 2018 at 12:00 am

The property I work at has a least a dozen of them.  A few even have fabricated locking bars spanning the door from the outside…with a padlock to lock them.

Obviously these didn’t happen overnight.  They were installed over the course of DOZENS of years for various reasons…all before my tenure.

These locking devices bother me considerably.  They’ve bothered me for the six years I’ve worked there. 

They’re just your general, hardware store-style hasp…with a custom-keyed padlock.  With that setup, a cooler or freezer becomes an entrapment hazard.  It actually happened recently and if it wasn’t for one of our guys requesting to get back inside a cooler for some maintenance, one of our kitchen staff would’ve been locked in there for the night.  Thankfully that did NOT happen.

Here’s the thing:  I’m not in charge, but I’m planning to STRONGLY urge to my boss that we need to remove these things because they’re illegal…and install something that IS legal and safe.  Additionally, with very recent requests by Chefs to install even MORE hasps…and me speaking for my boss for the moment since he’s out for medical reasons, I’ve been saying “NO, NOT YET.  I’m just sitting on the request(s) until he gets back”.

With what LITTLE research I did in trying to find an OSHA (or equivalent) regulation, I tried finding something conveying a proper locking configuration for a cold storage room, but that hasn’t brought me to anything clearly indicating that what we CURRENTLY have is illegal.

I DID find this little document by Kason:

SafetyLatching.pdf 

I sorta wanted something more I could stand on.   Something by OSHA for some other regulatory body when I suggest  need to purchase and install the RIGHT locking mechanisms to replace the current wrong ones we have…before someone actually DOES get asphyxiated or frozen to death.

I’m intending to approach this in a way that doesn’t open a can of worms.  In other words, I don’t want to scream from a mountain top how awfully dangerous your walk-ins are.  I want to approach this with some discretion for the users, but justifies the cost for parts and our labor that would be needed for resolving the issue to our engineering management.

I’ll add that PADLOCKS are really the only way to go here.  OEM locks are all keyed alike.  Our MULTIPLE kitchens (restaurant) are in the same complex of buildings and accessible by ANY employee.  The kitchens can’t feasibly be locked to keep anyone out.  Therefore the Chefs employ our resident locksmith for custom, equally-keyed padlocks just for locking THEIR walk-ins and storage cages.

As an example of a hasp that would be suitable and legal for our needs, Kason offers this thing:

0036 PADLOCKING HASP WITH INSIDE RELEASE 

So, what I’m asking from y’all is for any offerings you have for:

• A legal reference to regulations for proper latching/locking mechanisms on cold storage rooms (walk-ins)
      • …for me to use in justifying my decree that “Our hasps are dangerous and illegal”.
    • Any ideas y’all have for some products out there on the market besides the one I linked to above
    guest replied 6 years ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • fixbear

April 3, 2018 at 5:30 am

There is a OSHA reference.  But also the 2009 EISA act references door safety as well as efficiency closing.  I think this is what you are looking for.

Even the code inspectors disagree on coolers.  (Just so you know)  And there blog has a lot more snide remarks than most.

And old saying from my past, There are those that can do, and there are those that teach or become inspectors.

I have had customers that did not want to spend the money on Kason latches.  But they still have a welder place a eye on a threaded rod for the hasp or bar and welded a handle on the nut inside.  Ex-capable, but took a lot longer to open,  and could not be re-locked without the key.

• john

April 3, 2018 at 10:19 am

I’m truly surprised that no manager or even a bookkeeper (assuming no lawyers at your company) hasn’t come by and axed this practice. 

You’ve got the law on your side; but despite the policies a no-retaliation workplace, I (as a worker in general) don’t believe that holds true. You can’t prevent people from being prejudiced against you, and it’s nearly as hard to prove they’re acting in retaliation when you get bad shifts, reduced hours, or they’re just generally down your neck all the time.

In previous jobs (before Parts Town) I’ve witnessed dangerous work conditions, and I’ve felt that management didn’t really care. My issue is: you mention something, they know you care but they don’t act, then someone from OSHA shows up, and you get blamed. 

With that in mind, part of me says just contact OSHA. Just photograph some of these locks and send it to them. Then part of me thinks that’s some kind of “betrayal” to one’s own company. As if companies in today’s society are generally renowned for their loyalty to workers. On the flip side, if the company cared about your safety and respected you as workers, they’d be making good choices. Sure beats freezing to death in a walk-in. 

Then there’s what fixbear said. Who knows if OSHA would even be helpful, or if they’d answer in a timely fashion. I’ve never actually tried to contact them and report anything. They seem to be great at talking about how a mess happened, but we’re looking to prevent a mess.

• fixbear

April 3, 2018 at 12:40 pm

There are  overlapping authority on this.  And you executive chef know’s it.  But he has to be approving the locks.  One never see’s a OSHA inspector unless there is a accident. Fault found and a company is on the watch list.  Even worse is it is a government entity. However, Fire department code enforcement,  Building code officers, and insurance underwriters are a different story. Different states have different rules on building safety inspections. But they are required in public buildings.  Usually annually..Insurance underwriters, again you come into focus after a claim. I have seen some companys that never have a insurance audit for 20 years. Had a guy get caught in a machine and you wind up with multiple inspections that seem to re-occur 6 to 12 months. 

Only you know your local situation.  And yes cooler doors without safeties bother me too.  I always documented them on my work orders. CYA

• ectofix

April 3, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I really do appreciate your inputs.

fixbear, thanks for 2009 EISA act reference.

CYA?  Yes, I always do.

Just a reminder.  I’m an in-house tech for the past six years at this property.  partstownjohn, I understand my rights to report such things without fear of repercussions.  Charts delineating those rights are posted throughout our property…and I’ve signed off that I’ve read it.

The whole point of my post is to gain some resources necessary for resolving the issue. 

FWIW:  It was actually MY PREDECESSORS, comprising a former and notoriously motley crew of kitchen techs, who were the ones who installed all these illegal hasps onto the W/I cooler doors. 

I sorta get it…I guess.  They worked here like I do now.  They were told to resolve issues (such as broken locks on W/I coolers)…and did what they were told to make them be secure again.  They didn’t know any better.  

Unfortunately, the Three Stooges were part of that long-gone crew.

We’re a much better bunch in my shop now.  A new regime which (for the most part) strives to meet higher standards in quality repairs, workmanship, daily maintenance practices, far greater knowledge of the equipment,  etc.  We also have far better management than we did a mere five years ago…and are treated with much greater respect than back then too. 

It was really B-A-A-A-D just six years ago when I first signed on.  Our kitchen shop was treated like a bunch of misfits.  Since then, personnel in management AND our shop has changed.

Anyway…

To use a buzzword from the ’90s, my intent is to be PROACTIVE in this by initiating whatever information and resources  necessary to resolve the matter as quickly as possible.  The task for converting all of these W/I doors back to a SAFELY locked condition will be performed ME and the crew I now work alongside.

SO…

Aside from the ONE option I’d posted above (0036 PADLOCKING HASP WITH INSIDE RELEASE), has anyone seen anything that’s similar in function to a HASP which would suit my needs?  I’m not really interested in handles which accept padlocks.   We actually have a few of those and they’re fine, but they’re quite a bit more expensive than something that’s similar to a hasp and require more tools & labor to install.

I know that Kason pretty much corners the market in refrigeration hardware, but I’m still wondering if there’s any other options on the market.

April 5, 2018 at 5:50 am

Kason makes several other options under the Safe Guard title. Although the pictures don’t show them, many use a threaded rod to release from the inside. They have a pad lock, locking handle with a positive latching strike.

From my personal experience, the 0056, can be defeated , so I would not recommend this particular model, for secure storage.

In order to not hurt anyone’s feelings, or bruise their egos, I would introduce them as an upgrade to security. As long as your using a long shank padlock, the transition should go smoothly.  

• ectofix

April 5, 2018 at 5:30 pm

rico wrote:

In order to not hurt anyone’s feelings, or bruise their egos, I would introduce them as an upgrade to security. As long as your using a long shank padlock, the transition should go smoothly.  

Thanks rico.  That’s a good idea and definitely falls in line with the discreet, delicate approach I’m going to use.

rico wrote:

Kason makes several other options under the Safe Guard title. Although the pictures don’t show them, many use a threaded rod to release from the inside. They have a pad lock, locking handle with a positive latching strike.

From my personal experience, the 0056, can be defeated , so I would not recommend this particular model, for secure storage.

I D/Led Kason’s catalog, but didn’t find those options.  Would you happen to have a link to those?

The last two days, I did a tour to assess all W/I doors in our main building.  Of about fifty doors, two-thirds of them require remediation.  Still a dozen more doors in our commissary I’ll look at next week.

I found many doors using hasps or locking bars unnecessarily since that have perfectly functional handles that will accept a long-shackle padlock.  I’ll seek help from our locksmith to get them the correct padlocks that will allow me to eliminate the hasps & bars.

Unfortunately, ALL of our Kolpak swing doors (about twenty of them) have handles that WILL NOT  accommodate a padlock. Looks like those are the ones I’ll be doing some shopping for so I can rid of the hasps & bars presently in use.

It so happens that I might have found a solution when I inspected our  one-dozen Kolpak SLIDING doors.  They’re all equipped to accommodate a padlock, but possess a safety release feature:

Older Kolpak sliding doors (from when they were part of The Shannon Group) – they have a hasp which has the paddle base portion welded to a thick block with a threaded hole.  A knurled knob fastened to a long, threaded, zinc-coated shank retains it through the wall from the inside. Newer Kolpak sliding doors (which say “Manitowoc” on them) – have a similar threaded shank retaining a large threaded eyelet on the exterior.  A chain from it is to route to another eyelet fastened to the door.  The chain is permanently attached to one of the eyelets.

Both of those designs seem befitting of my needs.  Both are simple designs and simple installation.  So today, I took pictures of both of those setups and sent them to Tammy @ Kolpak.  Hopefully she can ID their source for those or give me a part number for me to order.

April 6, 2018 at 1:06 pm

To find the handles, use fixbear’s link. Scroll down the page to the specifications. On the left side of the page you will see “055 Safe Guard Latch”. There are several more choices below this one. Just point and click.

We have Frank rolling doors here. They also have a threaded rod with a hand wheel to release the chain.

If Kolpak doesn’t come thru, try this link; http://frankdoor.com/Parts-Slide-Locks