Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums hoshizaki ice maker

• hoshizaki ice maker

Posted by guest on September 13, 2017 at 12:00 am

i have hoshizaki ice maker kml-450mwh      when i touch water pump (2A0749-01) its very hot.  is that normal?

guest replied 6 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • fixbear

September 13, 2017 at 7:21 pm

The motor will feel hot, but hot is a relative word.  At what temperature is it?  Is the cooling fan intact on the pump motor?  Are the ports clean for air flow?

• ectofix

September 13, 2017 at 7:23 pm

HOT…is a relative term.  Motors perform work.  Motors do get warm while performing that work.

If you can rest your hand upon the motor for an indefinite period without experiencing any discomfort, then don’t worry about it.

If you rest your hand upon the motor for SOME period and DO experience some discomfort, then don’t worry about it.  When it quits, buy a new one.

If you’re still worried about it, then get an amp draw reading and compare that to its rated amp draw.  If the amp draw is too high, then replace the motor.

FWIW:  Per the part number you provided – back in 2004, a service bulletin was published to replace that pump with one having a cooling fan:

KML PUMP MOTOR INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS

• ectofix

September 13, 2017 at 7:27 pm

You said “relative” too.  HA!

• fixbear

September 14, 2017 at 4:23 am

Gotta love auto correct.

September 14, 2017 at 9:18 am

i use the 5 second rule to any motor touch test, most try the 3 second rule , in other words if you can hold your hand on any motor more than the mentioned time frame , you should be fine , in the case of ice machine pump motors it is not uncommon for their little drive shafts to seize, its better to replace than to wait for failure untimely failure

• ectofix

September 14, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Dennis, I’ve worked on electrical stuff for forty years, but I’ve never heard of that motor “touch test”.  I’m going to have to reach out and touch more motors to discover whether you just taught me something NEW.

I DO use a “hand over the grill” method for determining if the charcoal is about right to cook with.  Three seconds is good for searing a steak.

I hope a motor doesn’t get THAT hot!

September 15, 2017 at 5:29 am

I have a couple of these in service. They can feel hot from time to time. If the amp draw id correct and it passes the sniff test, (ie doesn’t smell like burnt insulation) I wouldn’t worry too much. As stated above there is a motor with a cooling fan available, for replacment. This was created, by Hoshizaki, for this reason. Not that the motor was defective but that it seemed to be to hot. The operating specs, on the motor, would bear this out.