Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums I am having an issue with a Roundup Vertical Contact Toaster

• I am having an issue with a Roundup Vertical Contact Toaster

Posted by guest on February 9, 2018 at 12:00 am

The model # VCT-20CV. It turns on and the belts are moving but it starts flashing PO and not heating up. It seems like one the AUX and Patten lights flip on it starts flashing. I am looking for possible parts that may need replaced and don’t want to spend money on something that will not fix the problem.

john replied 6 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • fixbear

February 9, 2018 at 11:32 am

would you happen to have a make and model number of this machine.  Round-up has been used by many brands

• ectofix

February 9, 2018 at 11:39 am

See page 22:

http://download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/ROU-VCT-20CV_spm.pdf

If that doesn’t lead you to a resolution, you’ll need to have a service company look at it.  It’s impossible to tell you what part to replace without employing some tested & true troubleshooting skills that a technician will have.

• ectofix

February 9, 2018 at 11:43 am

Roundup is generally an Antunes product (formerly A.J. Antunes).  That’s how PartsTOWN lists it as well.

Antunes VCT-20CV Parts & Manuals | Parts Town 

• fixbear

February 9, 2018 at 1:08 pm

Also used by Turbochef.  The Antunes marketing of it was primarily for hot dog rollers..

• fixbear

February 9, 2018 at 1:30 pm

If you have a VCT, that looks close to what you describe.  You have a low voltage situation.  Check your rocker switch, terminal block, power cord, and outlet for at least 200 volts.  Something has a high resistance if your wall supply is ok.  If none of those show a problem, and you have line voltage past the rocker switch, check the high limit and the power transformer to have 12 VAC to the controller.  .

All this assumes that you have a DVOM, or multimeter and know how to use it.  Do a visual check of the terminals, plugs,  and wires first.

I almost forgot,  make sure that the panel vents are clean and the motor fan blade is ok.

• ectofix

February 9, 2018 at 5:05 pm

I knew Antunes (Roundup) made hot dog grills, but I rarely worked on those – only one or two of those a year. 

You said the “Roundup” name is also used by TurboChef?  Never heard that before.  Antunes (Roundup) is a family-owned business.  TurboChef is a division of the massive Middleby Corporation.

Roundup is a division of A.J. Antunes & Co, a family-owned and operated company (for brevity, they recently shortened their name to just “Antunes”). 

Roundup vertical contact toasters and countertop steamers were very prolific in the McDonald’s, Wendy’s and other QSRs I did repairs in…which was several times a week. The name “Roundup” would be emblazoned in big letters across the front, but the A.J. Antunes name would be in tiny print on their data stickers.  So, people commonly thought ROUNDUP when they called in their toaster for service.

These changes might have coincided with the shortening of their company name and the recent expansion of their factory headquarters in order to move several separate facilities and their entire operations under one roof.

• john

February 9, 2018 at 6:04 pm

I am looking for possible parts that may need replaced and don’t want to spend money on something that will not fix the problem.

There are some contradictory statements in there–possible parts means uncertain. Lack of certainty carries risk of spending money on something that won’t fix the problem. 

ectofix and fixbear did point out the issue re: low voltage, but if you don’t have the tools and knowledge, the information isn’t very useful to you. The best you can do is inspect the cord and receptacle for damage, but if there’s nothing obvious going on, you’ll have to get some qualified help

It’s the thing that no owner operator wants to hear: your machine is malfunctioning; it’s going to cost money to get it back in working order.

Know that it may cost you more if you don’t call a qualified technician and just start throwing parts at the problem, even with advice from techs online. They’ll still tell you being on location is the only way to be certain about a problem and its solution.

Thanks,

John