Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums The Cold Side Carpigiani rewire 230V to 400V 3 phase

• coldsidecommander

January 9, 2020 at 9:26 am

I have access to Carpigiani service manuals and I don’t see that model… you would have to call Carpigiani direct. Their US number is 1-800-648-4389.

• fixbear

January 9, 2020 at 10:34 am

Carpagiana timers are special to the machine. They are about $450 here. 

The overloads can be reset for the amp reduction.

I don’t know if in Norway they have to attach a wiring diagram of the machine,  But here it’s required.  So look around inside the covers for one.  If so you may be able to just run a nuetral wire and pick up your 230V for the controls.  If not you may be able to install a small control transformer for them.  Also look for a control supply circuit. It may already have a control transformer for it that has multiple taps.

• coffeegeek

January 9, 2020 at 11:25 am

second batch

• fixbear

January 11, 2020 at 12:04 pm

This is a simple fix.  Your wiring diagram shows the control side on the right. If you can rewire the motors to the 400V, the cheapest option would to be a control transformer to 1 and 2 on the control supply side.  Providing you have the room for it in the cabinet.  It’s only going to be 12 cm square and maybe 10 cm high

Optionally if you can get the 230V to a neutral, Disconnect 2 and that would go to the nuetral.

• techtownmayor

January 9, 2020 at 12:24 pm

Disclaimer: I’m not a foodservice equipment expert, but having studied as an electrician in Europe I hope I can help a little bit here, even if it has been 20 years since I last tinkered with anything 3 phase… As with all information online, my reply should not be used as a true reference, and only a licensed local electrician should be working on these voltages

Star 3 phase (between neutral and a phase) is 220V (nowadays 230V) and delta 3 phase (phase to phase) is 380V (nowadays 400V) – but I see you clearly understood that from your replies.

I’m guessing that the machine was previously setup in star with 3x 220V phases and a neutral. Are you positive that the 3 phase distribution the restaurant has isn’t simply wired for delta only (which would explain the 400V supply)? 

Would it be possible to grab a multimeter and measure what you have from neutral to a phase or is it just a lack of a neutral on your supply?

I’m wondering if it would be easier to find a way to do some rewiring so you go from 3 phase only (no neutral) with 400V to 3 phase and neutral (so you get access to 230V). You may need to have a ground pole drilled, but that is still cheaper than trying to get the machine running on 400V. 

Only a really old IT style supply in Norway would be the weird out of phase 440V/220V RMS, but I’m pretty sure that was residential only.

I hope this all makes sense…

• coffeegeek

January 11, 2020 at 12:31 pm

Of course 🙂 Neutral to phase gives 230V. So rewire beater and compressor motors to operate at 400V, and hook control side 2 to neutral and keep 1 to the phase.

I’m sure the compressor motor can be rewired (since the name plate indicates both delta and star connection), but I’m not sure about the beater motor. Isn’t the way to go between delta and star to reorganise the bridges in the terminal board? The beater motor have no bridges…?

EDIT: I was too quick. Looking at the terminal board of the beater motor (green painted motor), it is actually delta configured (it’s bridged with terminal crimps and cables instead of metal plates). I just have to connect all the top pins together. Then parallell connect the incoming (left) and outgoing (right) cables at the bottom connections of the terminal board. Sounds good?

• coffeegeek

January 11, 2020 at 12:44 pm

By the way, the current cabling is 3 phases + ground (blue connector), but our new location will supply 3 phases + neutral + ground (red connector).

Page 2 of 2