Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives continueing ed copeland

• continueing ed copeland

Posted by guest on January 4, 2019 at 12:00 am

Having attended many seminars on a multitude of products,  I just got a invite from Emerson for a 9 hour one within 2 hours of me.  But, they want $450 to register for it.  That’s $50 buck per hour per person to promote Copeland.  I like Copeland compressors and have recommended them for many years.  Especially in freezer applications.  But to screw the people that design, repair and promote there product to pad a engineers pocket is not nice.  Emerson will not have my support.  Your would think it was a 2 week course or something for that price.

Oh yea, Kingston NY.

fixbear replied 5 years, 2 months ago 1 Member · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ectofix

January 5, 2019 at 5:29 pm

I was sent to numerous training courses by my former food equipment service company.  I didn’t know who’d paid for those, but I know they were expensive since food, lodging…and even several plane tickets were required for me to be there.

Some years later (after our company’s acquisition by Ecolab), that seemed to come to an abrupt halt.   At that time, I’d specifically requested that they send me to a Copeland course a few hundred miles away in Atlanta.  I felt that I still had much to learn about refrigeration and it was a dis-service to our customers to not get me properly trained.

They didn’t.

Therefore, I’d actually considered paying for it myself.  However, I wasn’t certain of my future as a tech with that  company (having thoughts of leaving them), so I didn’t.

That’s definitely one course I wished I’d attended.

• ectofix

January 5, 2019 at 5:45 pm

I should add that I DO understand the reasons why I was sent to those others.  It was so our company could remain in their good graces as authorized service providers.  As such, we did their warranty work too.

Copeland, Embraco, Tecumseh and others were merely the parts within a manufacturer’s equipment.  SO…the closest I ever came to service training on refrigeration stuff was to attend classes hosted by manufacturers of actual refrigeration equipment (Hoshi, Mani, True, etc.).

• fixbear

January 6, 2019 at 9:00 am

Commonly the day seminars would be free or up to $50 to cover the food and printed material.  It was always viewed on that they wanted the field personnel to have the proper procedures and knowledge to provide the longest life and happy customers.  Multi day courses were priced to cover housing and food.  Anywhere from $50 to $150 per day.  Of course transportation was extra.  Now we are starting to see training being used as a source of income.  It started with the computer industry charging several thousand dollars for a Cisco or Microsoft certified training in 1999.  Now as there board members get seats on other corporations we will see it administered in other fields.  Definately not a good thing for working people.