Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives HL600 Mixer transmission

• HL600 Mixer transmission

guest created 4 months, 3 weeks ago 1 Member · 24 Posts

November 23, 2018 at 12:00 am

I got a HL600 Hobart dough mixer where the transmission sounds like it’s grinding or something, only when it goes to the 3rd speed and 4th speed.

The manual says to contact my local hobart service office for the proper transmission oil, what is the proper oil? Can I just use some 10/50 motorcycle oil?

Any idea’s as to why it’s making noise, please do tell. I just pulled the top off the transmission so I’ll be looking.

Thanks guys.

• ectofix

November 23, 2018 at 4:58 pm

Either way, you MUST use the oil that Hobart specifies.  The world of lubricants is very broad and specific to the application.  You can’t just pour what you feel is best in there and expect it to last very long.

• olivero

November 23, 2018 at 5:02 pm

Ectofix,

I am fairly certain that it’s an HL600, I’ll double check when I get back to it.

Fair enough, I’ll probably just reuse what’s in there right now.

What could be causing the ruckus though, any ideas or experience?

• ectofix

November 23, 2018 at 5:33 pm

olivero, you said an HL600.  An HL600 is part of Hobart’s “Legacy” -line of mixers which uses a VFD for variable speeds.

Are you sure it’s not just an earlier H600, which employs a true, four speed transmission?

An HL600 only used a variable speed control knob to change speeds.  If it’s got a shift lever, it must be a H600.

• ectofix

November 23, 2018 at 5:34 pm

No I can’t give you any clues. Not enough experience with them.

We have a few Legacy mixers and a greater presence of the earlier ones.  FWIW: Tearing into Hobart mixers is always a new experience because the opportunity for doing so is very rare. 

I suggest that you DON’T re-use what lubricant is in it.  Failure of metal components leaves metal fragments suspended in it that will do harm very quickly.

I don’t have a service manual on an HL600.  I do on a others though.  A countertop HL200 merely uses a specific grease, while our full-sized HL1400 uses Mobile Gear 634 oil.  I’m guessing an HL600 would be the same.

An earlier model H600 also uses Mobile Gear 634 oil.  A gallon of it.  Call Hobart for the part number if you choose to get it from them.

I’m guessing you have just a H600.  I got this manual from the open web several years ago:

H600 & L800 Service Manual 

• olivero

November 23, 2018 at 7:01 pm

Okay fair enough, that makes sense.

The H600 is manual lift. Mine is automatic, the picture of the H600 shows the manual lift, I am pretty sure I have an HL600.

• fixbear

November 24, 2018 at 7:02 am

It will be a extreme pressure gear oil that is food safe.  You wouldn’t want any Barium or Molidium Di-sulfide in there.

• fixbear

November 24, 2018 at 8:33 am

Often the shift clutches or shift yoke will suffer wear and not clear completely.  Before you get to far into it,  Check the bottom of the buffer spring on the worm gear shaft top to see if it has done any clipping of the top gear of the clutch shaft.

• olivero

November 24, 2018 at 8:34 am

Makes sense, I’ll have to see what Hobart says on Monday. I sent them an email so hopefully they respond.

• olivero

November 24, 2018 at 8:35 am

I’m lost there.

I’m trying to get the planetary off, I drained the oil and pulled out what I could but getting the planetary gear off is proving to be a RPIA

• olivero

November 24, 2018 at 4:28 pm

Okay, I Got what you are saying now, I ended up in a H600 service manual somehow and I saw everything you were talking about.

The HL600 does not have any of that, it has the center gear and the planetary gear, 2 shafts, 3 or 4 gears, that’s it.

There is no clutch or anything like that.

I got the planetary off, figured out I probably should have supported it before it fell on my leg, lol. Heavy SOB that one.

Can’t figure out how to get the main shaft out so the transmission is open, never had this much trouble before.

• badbozo2315

November 24, 2018 at 8:29 pm

> I probably should have supported it before it fell on my leg, lol.

Heh, wait till you do a 1401 double reduction planetary.

Ya, your gearbox is simply a one stage reduction box, there’s no shifting of gears. Speed control is by varying the speed of the motor. Without hearing the noise, I wouldn’t be able to offer much help, except to say those planetary unit will growl once or twice a revolution, and it gets annoying at higher revs. I’d run it with the planetary off and see if the sound persists. (Put the top back on the gearbox with a few screws before you do this.)

download.partstown.com/is-bin/intershop.static/WFS/Reedy-PartsTown-Site/-/en_US/manuals/HOB-HL600_pm.pdf 

• olivero

November 24, 2018 at 10:11 pm

Lol, no thanks. This is no fun as it is.

It’s hard to tell, it’s out of the space now, I’ll have to rig up a 220V power supply if I want to run it without it. Nothing seems out of place, I found small metal shavings in the bottom of the transmission, none of the teeth on the gears seem damaged so I am not sure what’s going on.

I’m trying to get the planetary shaft off to check the bearings but I can’t get it off for the life of me.

I’ll have to get it back together tomorrow so they can use it so hopefully I can figure it out.

• fixbear

November 25, 2018 at 7:14 am

Never had the pleasure of getting into a HL600.  But it sure looks a lot simpler with the VFD.

• badbozo2315

November 25, 2018 at 11:37 am

> I’m trying to get the planetary shaft off to check the bearings but I can’t get it off for the life of me.

Standard Hobart planetary. Remove the clip at the top of the shaft, put the planetary in a large vise if available, drive the shaft downwards through the top bearing. The bottom bearing and seal will come out the bottom. Put on new seals if you take one out. You should be able to hear and feel those 2 bearings if they’re bad or loose.

• olivero

November 25, 2018 at 11:51 am

I’m talking the drive shaft, not the one in the planetary itself, perhaps I named it wrong.

It’s the one that has the sheave on it for the belt, goes down into the planetary assembly but when the planetary is removed, it does not come with it. 

• olivero

November 25, 2018 at 2:23 pm

Got ya.

Now that brings up some questions. For one, why is Hobart selling it for $300 when I can find it for a 6th of that price if I look up the bearing number.

Secondly, how does something like that happen?

Third, how do I prevent it.

4th, how am I going to find that bearing and pick it up on a Sunday.

• olivero

November 25, 2018 at 4:21 pm

Looks like that’s actually a notch which allows you to remove the ball bearings and disassemble the bearing.

At least, that’s what I used it for.

Found the problem, 

The bad side.

• ectofix

November 25, 2018 at 4:59 pm

Two THUMBS UP!

Image result for thumbs up meme

Good work!

• ectofix

November 25, 2018 at 5:11 pm

BTW:  That bearing shouldn’t have a “notch”, so having that is part of the problem.

Getting one on a SUNDAY?  You’re not.

$300 for a BEARING?!?!

What’s the ML of that mixer? 

Which bearing IS THAT?

• ectofix

November 25, 2018 at 5:24 pm

Nevermind.

So that’s the upper bearing for the planetary shaft.  It carries an EXTREMELY heavy load.  Probably a double bearing.

Parts town has it for the same price as Hobart.  Snag it and some new seals…and oil.  Let them suck it up a few days so you can do this right.

• fixbear

November 25, 2018 at 7:09 pm

olivero wrote:

Looks like that’s actually a notch which allows you to remove the ball bearings and disassemble the bearing.

With a double row axial thrust bearing like that they can press the one side in. Because it is designed as a axial load bearing. But the other has to e assembled one ball at a time into the ball spacer. It’s not made to be disassembled, but I’ve done it a few times. I take it the bad side was down?  And couldn’t clear itself from forien objects.   It’s actually a angular load ball bearing designed for both axial and radial load.

At least it’s not $50,000 bearing like I used to work with.

• olivero

November 25, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Yup, how it’s gonna be.

I ain’t getting it from Parts Town though, no way. Not paying $300 for a bearing, no way.

But the notched side was facing down originally, so I figured to make means to an end or whatever the saying is, I put it back in upside down with the good raceway now carrying the motherload. I know, I know what your thinking “you hack SOB!” but, it’s for the better, the only thing that it could possibly wreck further, is that bearing.

It’ll have to do until I can get a new one, I put it back together and just tested it, sounds a whole lot better, but I put too much grease in the planetary, lots of squishy sounds, lol.

Hopefully it holds up for a day or 2, I think it will, that bearing is drowned in oil.

• olivero

May 31, 2019 at 9:13 am

in case anyone cares I just went through and did this all again, replaced the bearing this time, didn’t just flip it around, new seal, new oil and so on.

Talked to a mechanic buddy of mine, said that type of damage to the raceway is from an up and down type load more so than side to side which is what this bearing is supposed to handle more so.

Do you guys put the planetary back as the last item or how do you reassemble it? I tried putting the planetary back together with the main drive shaft already installed and then realized I would have no way to make sure the seal was in there properly and sure enough, it leaked when I poured a little oil in the tranny so I pulled it back out and put the main drive shaft in, then reassembled the tranny and then put the planetary in.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now