Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives SF 70 Saturn fryer, pilot will not stay on. Just installed a new powerpile, 750 millivolts. End is in pilot flame and is red hot. Do I need a new thermostat or gas valve?

• SF 70 Saturn fryer, pilot will not stay on. Just installed a new powerpile, 750 millivolts. End is in pilot flame and is red hot. Do I need a new thermostat or gas valve?

Posted by guest on August 2, 2019 at 12:00 am

SF 70 Saturn Fryer, pilot will not stay on. Just onstalled a new 750 millivolt power generator that the pilot flame impinges on and is red hot,  Do I need a new thermostat or gas valve?

olivero replied 4 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • ectofix

August 2, 2019 at 4:15 pm

The operating thermostat generally has no impact on whether the pilot remains lit.  However, the high-limit thermostat DOES.  Did you check that?

It’s impossible to know what your problem is without troubleshooting it.  Doing so requires knowing how that system works along with performing proper tests using a VOM and a manometer.

Here’s you a manual:

https://www.partstown.com/modelManual/SAT-SF_iom.pdf 

• olivero

August 2, 2019 at 4:53 pm

Check your high limit and operating thermostat.

I had a similar situation on a Deep fryer, one of which Ectofix and Fixbear helped me resolve.

It turned out to be the operating thermostat was off so it would overshoot and trip the high limit which killed the pilot. I had the same thing thinking it wouldn’t stay lit, so I replaced the gas valve, high limit, thermopile and it was just a nightmare, then it turned out to be the thermostat and I felt really dumb.

Before you throw more parts at it, measure the bin temperature, set it to 350 and let it cycle once or twice, then measure the temp.

Does the pilot ever light or it won’t light? Does it go out after 5 minutes or a couple of hours, immediately? a bit more specific.