Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives how do you change a heating element in a delfield steamtable model sh4-nu.

  • how do you change a heating element in a delfield steamtable model sh4-nu.

     fixbear updated 1 year, 3 months ago 1 Member · 6 Posts
  • guest

    February 18, 2019 at 12:00 am

    I know the top has to come off but i have tried to remove it and there is still something holding it down.

  • eritech1

    February 18, 2019 at 3:54 pm

    Most of them remove from the bottom I think. I never worked on a sh4-nu 

  • fixbear - ADK NY

    February 19, 2019 at 5:23 am

    You have two options. They just set into the cut out but have to be caulked in place to prevent leaks, and cleaning liquid from getting between the server and counter.  To remove ussually requires a thin blade be run around the unit edge to break the silicone.


    But you can also just remove the two nuts on the studs that mount the heater and drop it out from the bottom. Ussually it has a fiberglass blanket over it that has to be dropped first to see the nuts.

  • mikethetech

    February 19, 2019 at 3:04 pm

    hi bear, there is no access to the bottom. the control console comes off and there is a large metal pan under the wells and the opening is very small, no drains. there is also a shelf under that. the pans that hold the water are riveted to the main top. there was 10 bolts under top that i removed but it feels like there is something else holding it.

  • ectofix - Nashville

    February 19, 2019 at 7:23 pm

    It’s an enclosed setup like this.  They’re always SO fun to work on:


    On some makes of similar setups, I’ve had to literally flip them upside-down to work on them.  I’m not saying that’s the case here, but…I’m just saying.


    Obviously I’m no help here.  I suggest calling Delfield to see what they say.  Otherwise – as a tech, ya gotta figure it out as you go.

  • fixbear - ADK NY

    February 20, 2019 at 6:23 am

    You can find a breakdown here.


    There are two stainless straps that are spot welded to the pan in the middle just under the flange.  They come down to hold the heat deflector with a 90 degree bend and two self tap sheet metal screws to keep it in place.  The heating element is mounted on the heat deflector pan. 


    If the pan has water drains, the drain pipe may be holding it.  Good luck, they are a pain.

Log in to reply.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018