Support / FAQs / About techtown

Home Forums Archives Does ice o matic p2963023 have to have a drain port out the back?

• Does ice o matic p2963023 have to have a drain port out the back?

Does ice o matic p2963023 have to have a drain port out the back? 1 fixbear updated 5 months ago 1 Member · 7 Posts
  • Does ice o matic p2963023 have to have a drain port out the back? 2

August 23, 2019 at 12:00 am

Just ordered for an under counter space we are making in a wine bar area.  Concerned about it draining out the back onto the floor under new counters.  

• Does ice o matic p2963023 have to have a drain port out the back? 3

ectofix

August 23, 2019 at 11:08 am

No idea what a p2963023 is.  That’s not a model number.

To answer your question about a drain:  YES.  Of course it has a drain. 

The ice bin that the ice drops into is just an insulated cooler.  The bin is not refrigerated like the ice maker in a home refrigerator.  So as ice melts, it must drain someplace.  Additionally, often times the ice making head will have a purge cycle, which must also drain off water.

Typical installs of undercounter machine will require drain plumbing to a nearby floor drain.

Installation instructions are part of the owner’s manual.  If you could provide an proper model number, we can post a link to a manual here for you.

ectofix

August 23, 2019 at 11:19 am

ectofix

August 23, 2019 at 6:01 pm

Well now, with a weather delay of the PGA Championship that I was watching on TV, I revisited this. 

Appears that the p2963023 number is actually the ITEM NUMBER assigned to it by an online dealer.  So you’ve ordered an Ice-O-Matic model GEMU090, right?  Looks like THIS?

Ice-O-Matic GEMU090

I didn’t know Ice-o-Matic made household machines.  A nugget ice machine at that.  That threw me off because we normally only address questions on COMMERCIAL units in this forum. 

Anyway, according to the dealer’s website:

“This unit is not equipped with a Drain Pump. Optional pump kit is model KPU090.  See GEMU90P for the model that includes the pump.”

So, unlike commercial machines, they actually offer a pump for the drain on household units.  Therefore, you should probably cancel your order on the basic unit (gravity drain) and order the model GEMU90P (P for unit with a pump)….or otherwise place an additional order the pump kit to install. 

The pump kit can deliver drainage to an elevated place such as a nearby sink.  A plumber can do this using some adaptation to a dishwasher drain tee under the sink.  The pump kit has a check valve to prevent flow back.  However, a high-loop would likely be required as well to ensure an air gap.

Here’s the installation manual:

Installation Manual GEMU090 Series 

Be aware that there’s allot going on inside a nugget machine that can go wrong if it’s not properly maintained.  Repairs can get quite expensive, so follow the maintenance guidelines to the letter.  Be sure to install whatever water filtration system recommended by the manufacturer.

fixbear

August 24, 2019 at 7:19 am

Needing the pump is only it you can’t drain thru the floor.  A pump one would be used to say install to a sink drain ir where you can’t get a 1/8 nch per ft pitch on the drain line to a gravity drain.

August 28, 2019 at 7:25 am

Thanks!  We went 10 feet up and over using the pump I ordered.  Pretty neat!Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

fixbear

August 29, 2019 at 7:15 am

Caution here,  the pump is only capable of a 10 ft head.

Original Post
0 of 0 posts June 2018
Now